GMC Sierra Fog lights

Hello, I purchased a 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 4wd crew cab and it did not come with fog lights. Anyone know of a place where I can buy these at. I have search the internet and it's like they don't exist for sale. Is the truck already wired for them, or will it required extensive work to install fog lights. I am not a weekend mechanic, but can handle unscrewing a few things and screwing them back in. It seems like the fog light button is already installed in the truck, it sets to the right of the light knob, or I am guessing that is what it is. Thanks for any help. Thanks

Reply to
Bill

Dealers sell kits to install them. You will need the lights and wire harness from the lights to the underhood fuse box and the fog lamp/cargo lamp button which replaces the existing cargo lamp button. Some trucks need the BCM programmed to turn the fog lamp function on but some seem to have it already turned on.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

Greetings,

I installed factory fog lights in my 2004 Chevy Silverado. The kit was $125.00 on eBay (you can search for "Sierra Fog Lights" and find them) and included both lights, the wiring harness, a new relay and switch and detailed instructions. Frankly however, if all the mechanical ability you have is "unscrewing a few things and screwing them back in" then this do-it-yourself project is not for you. By the way, the switch you are looking at currently in your truck that you mention is for the light on the back of your cab that illuminates the bed. The kit comes with a new switch with two buttons - one for the bed light and the other for the fog lights.

On my truck I had to remove the lower plastic bumper fascia (the air dam, which had about 20 clips holding it in place... and don't break any of them), cut out the holes for the lights (a Dremel tool worked extremely well), bolt the lights in position (they bolt to the subframe and not the air dam), reinstall the air dam, run the wiring harness to the under-hood electrical center, open the back of the wiring connection panel bus, locate the proper pin hole for the power line and connect the leads, reassemble the panel, install the relay that came with the kit (snaps into place in the panel), remove the dash panel to disconnect the wiring to the existing switch on your dash, remove the switch, install and connect the new switch from the kit, reinstall the dash panel, and adjust the aiming of the new lights. Simple.

My Body Control Module was already programmed to accept fog lights so I was lucky and they worked right away. However, if the lights don't work immediately you have to go to the dealer or a trusted mechanic with the correct computer and have the BCM programmed to accept the lights. At that point if they still don't work then you have to retrace all of your wiring and connections to make sure they are all correctly installed in the proper locations.

I'm guessing that if you had a dealer install the lights they would charge you between 1 and 2 hours labor to do the job (although it probably only takes about 30 minutes), plus I doubt that they'd drill out your current air dam which would require you to spend additional money for one with the holes already in them. Now it's getting expensive.

Good luck - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan