I have a 1997, 3/4 ton, Chevy Suburban, with a 454 that has a starting problem...?

Hey Everyone,

I have had this truck for almost three years. Ever since I've had it, it has the strangest starting problem. Sometimes it starts perfectly. Other times it will keep cranking, I'll stop cranking it. Then start again and it will start. I don't understand this? I have put one new starter and one used starter in this truck since I've had it. The used one is in it now. Any suggestions?

Reply to
jaredjaroski

Sounds like your starter(s) are OK -- if you turn the key and it turns over at a normal rate, it's likely something else.

Try this modification to your routine. Turn the key to ON, count to 5, then crank.

If this works - as in, it starts right away with the 5 count delay.. then you MAY have a fuel system issue. Turning the key on, waiting a bit, and then cranking.. during the 5 count you should hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds, building up pressure in the fuel system.

Sometimes the system doesn't stay pressured up. Could be a host of other things. But this is a simple thing to try.

Reply to
Miller

I've got a 3/4 ton '01 8.1 496 suburban that had something similar....While driving, it would just die randomly and would not start for several minutes at the side of the road. Then it would start no problem.

Turned out to be the crankshaft position sensor. Cheap fix, under $120.

Reply to
Dr. R in AZ