04 Silverado speedometer is off

My speedometer reads about 10% high. Has the correct size tires. Does the speedometer get it's signal from a pickup on the transmission or the tone ring in the rear axle?

Al 04 2500HD 6.0, 4L80E 4.10 rear

Reply to
Big Al

You've got a bad stepper motor, assuming it used to read accurately. Dig around on the Internet and find all the info out there on this. If you've got less than 70,000 miles (I think), you can get warranty on this. If this is the case, INSIST that they replace all 6 motors.

If you're out of warranty, you can find replacement motors for fairly cheap. I just got a set of six for ~$40.00 and plan to install them this weekend. Directions look fairly simple as long as you're comfortable with a soldering iron.

Reply to
scrape

Is it under 110,000 miles? Or close? GM will replace dash cluster free of charge on special warranty covering these years of full size units.

Reply to
Augustus

The warranty used to be extended to 60 or 70,000. Has this changed? If so, I'm pissed. I went in when I was under 110K and was turned away. Now, I'm over.

Reply to
scrape

Sorry, my mistake. 7 years 70,000miles or 110,000Km.

Reply to
Augustus

Somehow, I now feel better. And worse...

Thanks for the clarification.

Reply to
scrape