recommended Exhaust system for 05 Tahoe

Looking at these recently for my '05 2WD 4.8l Tahoe and found that there are at least half-dozen brands that all the shops sell. I called a few and each tells me that a different one is the best. I am looking for something that I can install myself without welding from the cat back.

How do I determine which is the best for the money?

How do I know what to stay away from?

What do you guys recommend?

Reply to
Ken Williams

Since there was no "kit" available for my '03 Silverado - regular cab, long bed, I called Magnaflow and they said (as did others here) that without other performance modifications, I should keep the single exhaust after the Y connecter and keep the existing pipe since it's stainless. I just cut out the existing muffler and replaced it with a Magnaflow universal in the proper configuration with a 2' section of straight pipe.

The Magnaflow had the sound I wanted and did not seem to hamper low end torque which others have been accused of. It *seems* to have a little more low end, but this is possibly due to the way I drive it.

I didn't want anything as loud as Flowmaster 40s, but wanted to be able to hear it.

If you do go the kit route, make sure the pipe is stainless unless you want the opportunity to replace it again in a couple of years.

Reply to
scrape

I put Magnaflow on my 2000 GMC, I liked the sound much better than the others. My friend had Borla on his truck, nice sounding, but I couldn't justify the price difference. I did not like the sound of the Flowmaster, almost sounded like an exhaust leak then a performance mod.

Shane

Reply to
Snowboard3r

"Ken Williams" wrote: > Looking at these recently for my '05 2WD 4.8l Tahoe and found > that there are > at least half-dozen brands that all the shops sell. I called > a few and each > tells me that a different one is the best. I am looking for > something that > I can install myself without welding from the cat back. > > How do I determine which is the best for the money? > > How do I know what to stay away from? > > What do you guys recommend?

Stay away from a system with too low a back pressure because it will reduce low speed torque, throttle responce and MPG in town.

Reply to
SnoMan

"Ken Williams" wrote: > Looking at these recently for my '05 2WD 4.8l Tahoe and found > that there are > at least half-dozen brands that all the shops sell. I called > a few and each > tells me that a different one is the best. I am looking for > something that > I can install myself without welding from the cat back. > > How do I determine which is the best for the money? > > How do I know what to stay away from? > > What do you guys recommend?

I put a Gibson Sport Truck cat back system on my 04 silverado, exits just before rear tire. Sounds great, cant tell you about performance change because i put it on same day i installed gears, so i dont know whats axactly has changed what.

Reply to
Maack

Great thanks guys.

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: >

Ken Williams