Retrofit 99 Astro with Automatic Headlights Control?

Hi All,

I got a 2000 S10 I drive that has Automatic Headlamp Control and I can say I've never used the headlights switch for evening driving. The system is that good. I have a 99 Astro only with DRL and in the evening I'm driving around town forgetting to turn on the headlights especially on lighted streets where you don't notice if the dashboard lights are off. Anyway I asked Mister Goodwrench if they could do a retro conversion. They said there is 'no kit'. The sensor for the AHC is simply mounted on the defrost grill for 2000+ Astros so no dashboard change is required. It seems to me all it would be is a sensor and control box inserted into the existing headlamp circuit. I know the domelight switch is also involved because 4 presses turns off AHC and 2 back on. It's enough to make me want to trade in the 99 for something newer but I'll amost guarantee there is no difference in the wirings circuits except for the addition of the AHC. The only interior difference between my 99 and a 03 is knobby thumb wheels for the climate controls and the sensor on the defrost grill.

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
Space Cowboy

~~

Retrofit 99 Astro with Automatic Headlights Control? Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Mon, Oct 6, 2003, 11:29am (CDT-2) From: snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com (Space=A0Cowboy)

[...]

Photo Cell.....Radio Shack.

Scrib Abell ~~flicks the switch...on...off....on...off...~~~

Reply to
Scribb Abell

Somehow,on Mon, 6 Oct 2003 17:37:53 -0500 (CDT), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Scribb Abell) managed to spout out:

-little bit more to it then just that...

Mike `02 Sliverado 2500HD

Reply to
Janitor Boy Jr

You probably need something like this.(see link below) You might be able to do it with gm parts but you would need both wiring diagrams and alot of electrical experiance. Thats asuming the both the trucks have the same wiring/ lighting controll module, ect....Im sure one of these kits would be WAY cheaper and easier too.

Scott M

Hey Scott,

Thanks alot. If not oem then after market will do. I'll get one of these, take it to Mister Goodwrench and say here is your 'kit'. I really like that feature in newer GMs and hope this is just as good.

Jim

Reply to
Space Cowboy

No problem. Good luck with it.