S-10 Rear Brake Drum

Okay, I give, anyone know the trick to backing off the Adjustment Wheel on S-10 Rear Brakes? I Got No Clue why I can rotate it to tighten easiliy, but it won't rotate to release. Any help is appreciated, TIA, Thom

Reply to
thomas34y

Because the self-adjuster tang only lets it move in the tighten direction. You have to pull the drum and hold the tang up off the teeth to loosen it.

Reply to
AZGuy

there should be a rubber plug or a knockout in the backing plate to access the star wheel and pawl. use a bent pick to lift the pawl and back the adjuster off with a brake spoon or a regular screwdriver.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Okay, I give, anyone know the trick to backing off the Adjustment Wheel on S-10 Rear Brakes? I Got No Clue why I can rotate it to tighten easiliy, but it won't rotate to release. Any help is appreciated, TIA, Thom Because the self-adjuster tang only lets it move in the tighten direction. You have to pull the drum and hold the tang up off the teeth to loosen it.

~~~~~~~~

Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Sun, Oct 5, 2003, 6:12pm (CDT+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@notgonnatellya.net (Bret=A0Chase)

there should be a rubber plug or a knockout in the backing plate to access the star wheel and pawl. use a bent pick to lift the pawl and back the adjuster off with a brake spoon or a regular screwdriver.

What Bret said. It's an easy operation.

"IF" that does'nt work for you, you can always knock the heads off the hold-down pins and yank the drums off. Just buy a hardware kit and replace them during the brake job.

Scrib Abell

Reply to
Scribb Abell

sometimes you have to back the adjusters off to get a grooved drum off.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase