Tranny Cooler Install

Ian,

You seem to have a working knowledge of what goes on in an automobile. But you don't always think. You just jump to conclusions and spout off. Here is what our super transmission technician said: "3) it is impossible for the in-tank cooler to cool the oil to less that about 180 degrees, given that modern thermo's run 196-205." This is a copy and paste of his statement, I assumed "that" should have been "than" and I may be wrong on my assumption. Do you want to think this out yourself and then make an intelligent statement?

BTW: TranSurgen is way up on my list of people with creditability. He is one very sharp guy and I respect his suggestions. That however does not make him infallible. For what it's worth I also appreciate and thank you for your input to this group.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

If you work for GM look at their suggestions for transmission coolers. It's in the motor home stuff. Some time ago I posted it. If needed I could try dig it up and post it again. I can't tell you if it's correct or not, but they do have a definite ways and the reasons why we should follow their suggestions.

Someone better than me might be able to find it thru Google??

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Duh........

Maybe that's what I'll do. Tomorrow evening's job.

Thanks again for the advice.

Reply to
Commentator

Really? Why don't you get busy on your google search and come up with the conclusions I've jumped to and spouted off about? If you've actually followed me and my conversations over the last few years, you should be well aware that I try "not" not jump to conclusions. Of course, none of us are perfect and the old human nature peers thru far more then I would wish.

My apologies if I offended you.

That's what "he" said. I'll leave it up to Gary to defend his own statement. I'm fairly sure that I know where he's going with that statement...it just may not be complete. Sounds to me like the assumption is a completely warmed up cooling circuit. Obviously the radiator cooler is much cooler then 180 degrees when you start the engine up....but that's so obvious as to be an assumed fact.

Many thanks for your vote of confidence. Automotive repair is a highly emotional subject....because everybody has either done some work on a car, knows someone who is an expert, has been taken to the cleaners at one time or another over a car repair..etc. You gotta give it to the guys tho that actually have a business overhauling transmissions, standing behind them, figuring out ways of dealing with heat related problems and rectifying them..etc. I certainly won't be disagreeing with Gary about transmissions and how to cool them properly.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Well, if I knew how:) I tried searching Google and can find about everything ever written EXCEPT what I'm looking for. Plus, I get caught up in reading all the nonsense that comes up and waste half the day. But, we had some words about setting up a rear axle one time. With my memory I won't even pretend to tell you what it was about:) Rear end work, especially ring and pinion changes, IMHO is not something for a backyard guy to attempt. That was my side of the argument, anyway.

Thanks for not attacking me and calling my immediate family nasty names:)

Al

78 Camaro SC/SG, very fast. 62 Chevy II, fast 73 Nova, slow car. 12.0 @ 113 MPH
Reply to
Big Al

TS, I have an s10 with a 350 and 700R4. Ran the cooling through both the rad and air cooling system for a while and experienced temps higher that optimum in both the engine coolant and trans fluids, then removed the radiator 'cooling' from the mix. The result was an overall cooler trans fluid and engine cooling temps.

Reply to
Gordon

ssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !

don't confuse people with real-world experience

it runs contrary to 'internet wisdom'........................

TS

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

on larger HD vehicles (F-250/350, Dodge 2500/3500, GM K2500/3500) that regularly carry a heavy load or tow large trailers I will use a pair of smaller units plumbed in parallel

for instance, 2 Tru-Cool 4490's instead of one 4590, or a pair of Hayden

1678's instead of one 1679

it's easier to hang one on each side of the grille center support; the parallel arrangement has less restriction than the series; plus the oils slows down to half speed in either cooler, which cools it better

to further reduce restrictions, I run the inlet tube into one 'side' of a TEE, the other side goes to one cooler, the middle leg goes to the second cooler

on the return leg, same way, but the cooler that was 'straight-thru' on the inlet side goes to the middle leg on the return side

that way, each cooler has one 90-degree turn in its plumbing, instead of 2 if the in/out lines went to the center leg of each Tee

actually, I've used the Hayden 1670-series and the Tru-Cool 4490/4590's because that's what my supplier carries, I don't worry about comparing fins vs flat

Reply to
TranSurgeon

If you go to the google search site, pick the "groups" section, it usually just defaults to the searching the "web". If you pick the "groups" section, you can find pretty much anything that has been in the newgroups for a number of years.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai