Trans swap

Question. Would I need a new computer if I swapped out my 5 speed stick for an 4L60E automatic? It's for a 1993 C1500. How much work would it take to do the swap? Is it worth doing the swap? Any advise?

Thanks, Hoss442

Reply to
Hoss442

I think you may be able to get it with just an EPROM change....not too sure ask a GM tech guru!

Reply to
Eightupman

ECM change

wiring harness

stoplight switch (maybe)

flywheel

driveshaft

crossmember

change steering column of you want column shift

shifter linkage

possible exhaust interference (not sure)

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Gary, besided the "hard" parts...do you have to change the whole ECM, ,or will just the chip work.....And what can you tell me about a 4.3 V-6 to a

350 swap (SFI motor)
Reply to
Eightupman

I believe on the manual computers they leave a lot of stuff out that's needed for the autos. That wasn't the case with the 700r4. You'll see when you pull the wiring harnesses loose from the computers on the two trucks, there's something like 18 more on the auto. It's also why you need to change the entire harness, which isn't much fun. Many boneyards cut wires when yanking parts off rather than take time to disconnect them. Getting a complete harness isn't as easy as it sounds.

4.3 to 350 is a whole nother ball of wax. Of course, one would assume you're starting with a 4.3 truck with a 5 speed. If you keep the 5 speed, there's very little change. Tranny stuff stays the same, motor mounts are the same, just in different holes, and you need a new shroud and a few other little things like a radiator. ECM stays same with new prom. Springs will sink up front without replacing. But 93 trucks are plentiful and the price difference between selling yours and buying one already done would make me think twice, unless you got a real good deal on a motor. Unless your truck is special, your going to have bottom of the line brakes and rear axle on your 6 cylinder, which may not be compatible with what you need the extra power for.

Going from a 4.3 5 speed to a 350 auto isn't financially practical to do. Sell it and get another truck and pay some gal on the corner to flog you for a while if you need the punishment.

Reply to
John Alt