transmission fluid

How many quarts on transmission fluid does a 81 chevy truck turbo 350 hold? I don't have a owners manual to look it up myself. Thanks for any help.

Reply to
tiger69k

Are you just dropping the pan and changing the filter or is the TC empty as well?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

It's completely empty. Just had it rebuilt and was putting it back in truck.

Reply to
tiger69k

If it's the stock pan it holds 4 quarts and the convertor holds 6 quarts for a total of 10 quarts.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Been a long time since I pulled and put a trany back, but if I recall correctly I was told t fill the torque converter before reinstalling trany.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Thanks for the info. Based on what you told me and what I found in some older shop manuals, 10 quarts should do it.

Reply to
tiger69k

So theoretically my new TH350 will need 4 quarts to change it out?

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

theoretically