'00 Stratus - Check Engine / Trans Limp-in

Hi,

My daugter called the other night to tell me that her check engine light came on and her transmission was in limp-in mode in a '00 Stratus 2.4L. I was wondering what could be the engine problem that would cause the tranny to limp? Any info we can have before going to the shop would be appreciated!!

TIA,

Dennis snipped-for-privacy@yahNOSPAMoo.com

Reply to
D. E. Smith

More than likely a speed sensor on the trans. If the speedometer still works it would be the input sensor and if not it would be the output sensor. They are very easy to replace and inexpensive. A scan for codes will confirm this.

LG

Reply to
Cirrus99x

Government requires trans faults that put the trans in limp in to set a code in the PCM and turn on the MIL. P0700 code means go check my buddy the TCM cause he has a problem. In this case the problem is probably only in the trans and could definitely be the input or output speed sensor but yes you need to check codes and that requires a code reader of some sort.

Bill

Reply to
Bill