Question about procedure

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500, 4.7 V8. A couple weeks ago, I was coming home from my sister's, with my daughter in the truck, and the oil pressure guage bottomed out. The engine had plenty of oil. Not being a mechanic, I figured if the engine wasn't getting any oil, it would overheat, and since the temp guage was fine, I assumed the problem was in the sensor or something. So I tried to make it the rest of the way home. The engine started knocking, and as soon as I could find a wide enough shoulder to safely pull over, I did. We had the truck towed to a mechanic, who said the engine needed to be re-manufactured. Since it's only 3 years old, I figured it should be covered under warranty. It has a 7 year - 70,000 mile warranty on the drive train, or power train, or whatever. So, I had it towed to the local dealer, who said the problems were due to improper maintenance, and they wouldn't be covered under warranty. In 29 years of driving, I've had approx 19 vehicles, and I've never had one blow an engine after 3 years, regardless of how well or poorly they were maintained.

I can't get a phone number for the local warranty rep from the dealer, or from Chrysler.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to pursue this further? It seems to me that Dodge should honor their warranty. It's not like I'm 3 miles or 3 days past the warranty, I'm well within the coverage period whether by miles or years.

Thanks

Reply to
scratchmonkey

You should re-post this to alt.autos.dodge.truck/trucks.

Where did you have your regular servicing done? If at the dealer, then they can't claim improper maintainence. If somewhere else, then be prepared to produce the records (invoices, etc) for the third-party work.

These days, it really doesn't pay to have normal oil changes for a new vehicle done anywhere other than the dealer.

Reply to
MoPar Man

Dodge Customer Service (800) 992-1997

8am - 5pm in all timezones

Dodge Customer Service Center PO Box 21-8004 Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8004

Thats gonna be an expensive repair. If it had oil, why did it seize (bad pump?). Tell the dealer you need to see the zone representative. If he balks, contact another dealer. Also, you might want to get a lawyer (unfortunately) or at least let the dealer know that you are considering such action if the situation is not resolved to your satisfaction

Reply to
OldSchool

If the valve covers or intake manifold was removed and there is excessive buildup of varnish from lack of maintenance Chrysler will not honor the repair. Assuming you have oil receipts to back up the maintenance.... why worry? Look in the back of your owners manual and call the 800 number to get things rolling.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
philthy

No, it's self-destruct. That's the word you're looking for. They don't get hot during the blowing-up process.

It's possible the engine was killed by your lack of maintenance. You didn't really give enough information for us to judge. However, since the dealer will want to tear the engine down, they'll make that determination based on the actual evidence.

If it was maintained properly, then they might fix it. On the other hand, if you'd just stopped, none of this would have happened. You probably shouldn't admit that to them if you want to take their money.

Reply to
Joe

It's not their money. The dealer gets paid by Chrysler corp. for warranty work, didn't you know that? The dealer will pull the manifold only to look and see if there's not obvious neglect, like a lot of sludge. If there is then the dealer knows that Chrysler corp will deny warranty coverage. Otherwise they will just put it in as a warranty claim and Chrysler corp will probably want the engine back intact to study it anyway.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt