HELP - Key won't turn in the ignition!

I am a poor college student who really doesn't want to shell out a couple hundred bux for a new ignition.

I have a 99 Sentra XE that had trouble turning the key while in the ignition a few weeks back. Now the key won't turn at all. It activates everything else, lights, wipers, etc., but not the ignition. I've tried jigglying the steering wheel, which is now locked and spraying wd40 into the ignition, stepping on the brakes doesn't work either.

HELP is there a manual or anything that would help me fix, or change the ignition mechanism?

Thanks,

John

Reply to
John Yoshizawa

It sounds like the steering wheel anti-theft lock is set. It's set by turning the wheel with the key out until it clicks.

Put the key in. Try slowly turning the wheel in each direction. With the key in, the wheel lock should release and the ignition will work.

Don't worry, I've done the same thing myself, and kicked my butt to no end for not knowing about the wheel anti-theft lock.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

NOPE, tried that for at least an hour and the key still won't turn, nor will the steering wheel unlock.

John

Reply to
John Yoshizawa

You say it won't turn, but it activates most but not all stuff?????

Sounds to me like what you really mean is it turns some, far enough to activate all the ACC stuff, but not far enough to turn on the ignition and unlock the wheel. If that's the case, it sounds like the lock cylinder is OK (or it wouldn't turn at all). I'd pull the steering column apart and go look for something that's keeping it from turning all the way. It wouldn't surprise me if it was something related to the steering wheel lock.

WD40 was a bad idea. Graphite is the right stuff for lock cylinders.

Reply to
Chuck Tribolet

Before you do too much, try a NEW key. Sometimes a worn key will not push the cogs in the lock far enough .

ibm

Reply to
ibm

Tried that.

Reply to
John Yoshizawa

Reply to
john smith

If you are not already a member of your local motoring organisation (sometimes called AA, RAC or AAA) then how much does it cost to join etc, and, are "breakdowns at home" covered ?

Rules vary between motoring organisations, for some, help at home is an extra cost option

The guys they employ usually really know their stuff, and things like this they can often do what's needed to fix it on the spot

cheers

Reply to
Catherine Jemma

Call a good car theif.

Reply to
Meat-->Plow

Have you tried a new key ??

Reply to
Ngray

... who will know how to break the lock in 3 seconds flat.

Reply to
Andy Champ

One thought may be to try the backup key. I had an old Integra and the original key actually wore out and made it difficult to turn. The other key worked fine.

Reply to
Ken Gilmer