2003 Grand Caravan grinding/metal contact sound when steering

Hi, I hope this title isn't too clumsily worded! I bought a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan with 41,000 miles on it on Thursday afternoon. Shortly after I drove it off the lot, I began to hear a metallic grinding sound occasionally when turning the steering wheel. It doesn't seem to be connected to the brakes, since it only happens when I turn, and doesn't seem to matter if I'm touching the brake or not. I can't reproduce the noise when it's in park, only when I'm turning. It doesn't happen on every turn, but it's a grinding/metal-on-metal sound that has me thoroughly worried! I called the dealership and am taking it into their shop on Monday, but I wondered if anyone here might have an idea what it could be. I did test drive it, but in retrospect I probably didn't drive it long enough or put it through more than a few turns. Thanks for reasing. :)

-Amy

Reply to
madam.w

You may be hearing a P/S growl, this occurs if the fluid is dirty or even low and is more pronounced on really cold days. But without actually hearing it would be hard to say.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
philthy

That just happened to my 2003. It was mostly with a full left or right turn. Turned out it was a problem with the cooler hoses. TSB 19-006-05. Also had the Recall D37 done also. Which was the other P/S hose. The steering wheel would shake slightly when cold (at start up) and be fine after it was warm. The recall and TSB are both to install Longer P/S hoses then on the vehicle. That is probably the problem. Chek with the dealer and have them perform the recall if not done, and have them inspect if the tsb will help. And the dealer that sold you the vehicle should pick up the tab on the TSB repair, if the Dealership does not do it for free.

Reply to
harts