300C and Magnum cars -- First impressions from NAIAS (long)

I am guardedly optimistic about the prospects of DCX in general and Chrysler in particular. The 300C is an attractive car, and for the money, it's a V8 RWD Sedan with a hemi engine for under 35k. That's pretty impressive, and for many people, that's all they really need.

I've been a lifelong Chrysler fan and I've even written about how I've thought DCX was going to ruin Chrysler, and maybe they have. But, pre-buyout Chrysler had some problems of its own that we seem to overlook. Fit and finish on the interiors were always so-so at best, but Chrysler's transmissions oft left something to be desired. How many Chrysler Cirrus owners are out there that need a new tranny at

90k miles? How many Neon owners?

I for one am looking forward to test driving the Dodge Magnum, and I certainly welcome the Mercedes transmission in the 300C.

Reply to
Todd Bandrowsky

Yep. I think it just might save 'em. We'll see.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

I've never been a Chrysler fan one way or the other. In 1960 when I was a junior in HS my parents bought a '59 Dodge D-500 convertable, white with red tail fins. THAT really impressed me. It also impressed my classmates whom I used to beat in drag races. ;)

I owned a '59 Plymouth between '65 and '67 after I totalled a '65 VW with no insurance. I paid $250 for it and it served me well until I had paid off enough of the loan on the VW to buy a '67 Mustang in "candy apple red."

I've always liked the look of the PT cruiser, but the 4 cylinder engine turned me off.

IMO, the Dodge Magnum Hemi is like a PT Cruiser with attitude!! I'd really like to have one one, but I'm retired and hardly ever go anywhere. It would be a pretty stupid purchace since my '90 Toyota Camry is serving me well for little trips to the store.

However, you only live once and it's about time for a new car. DROOL! DROOL!

I was glad to see this thread. After seeing the Magnum on the Super Bowl and surfing the net for info, I subscribed to this NG to see what people were saying about it.

P.S. Doesn't the Magnum Hemi have the Mercedes transmission too? I thought I read that it did.

Reply to
Charlie Dilks

Chrysler *used* to make the best transmission in the world (the A-727 and A-904), and really the only questionable one was the 41TE. If you think it had problems, just wait until you try to live with one of those Rube Goldberg piece of *&#@@ transmissions that Mercedes builds. I love the Hemi, but I'd only buy it if they use the same transmission that the trucks have been getting. Last I heard, though, it will have a Mercedes junker in it.

Reply to
Steve

Yep, the only time you get a real Chrysler transmission is if you buy a truck. And its no longer the tried-and-true A-518, but I'm not hearing too many gripes about the new one. A real shame they didn't shoehorn it into the cars as well as the trucks, it would have been a nice drivetrain without a piece of Mercedes bubblegum between the engine and rear wheels :-(

Reply to
Steve

yep....gotta love those 727s!

Reply to