300M 'Scraping' sound after 20+ miles

I have a 2003 300M with 25,000 miles on it. Apart from engine problems when new, the only service has been regular oil changes.

A few weeks ago after a 80 mile drive on the NJ Garden State Parkway I heard a 'scraping' or 'swooshing' sound as I departed from the toll booth. Applying the brakes did not seem to change the sound which, at first, I thought was an aircraft overhead. The sound then disappeared and does not recur on short local drives. The sound appears to be coming from the right rear of the car, but I am not 100% certain of this.

A week later, the same thing after a 25 mile drive. This time I thought applying the brakes made it slightly worse, but again it disappeared. In all it has now happened four times, so I am taking it into a Chrysler dealer next week. The brake pads all look to have plenty of life left in them.

I am asking if anyone can give me their thoughts on possible causes. It only seems to occur after running for 20 miles plus continuously.

I have never been impressed with Chrysler service, after having used two so called Five Star Dealers, so any heads up would be appreciated.

I still have the original Chrysler 7 year warranty that came with the car, although I believe their are a couple of local service garages (not affiliated with a car brand0 that friends have recommended, who say they will honor the warranty.

Reply to
Barry

Nothing too specific to offer other than brakes and wheel bearing come to mind.

You are aware that there are separate brake shoes for the parking brake (rear rotors are a combination rotor - for main brakes - and drum - for parking brakes). Did anyone pull the rotor/drum and check for parking brake drum/shoe issues (possibly some rust noise?).

BTW - come on over to the 300M Club:

Forums:

Bill Putney

There is a metal tab from the brake shield that may be hitting on the rotor. It would give you a very loud squeal noise and could come and go as you hit the brakes. You will need to slide under the vehicle or raise it to see if this is the problem. Bill Im surprised you didn't point that out!!

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
philthy

Hi...

I had this happen 10 years or so ago with a Buick, so an experiment for the OP that might prove useful if I may?

I found that a long gentle curve (about the degree of turn that you'd find at an overpass entry/exit ramp would cause it to be much more noticeable in one direction; and disappear in the other.

Perhaps the OP might try something similar after it's warmed up and acting up in an empty parking lot or something. Perhaps with all the windows open, at a speed where he can hear the squeal well without too much wind noise?

Mind you, mine was a front wheel, so that might have made a difference.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

I didn't because he seems to think it's from the rear, plus most people would describe the sound from the bent rotor shield as a "squeal" rather than a "swooshing" sound. But certainly something he should check for (noises often fool people as to which part of the car they're coming from).

Bill Putney

Many thanks to all the responders for your suggestions and help.

I think it has always happened after a slight right hand curve. As was also mentioned, I agree that I could be wrong that it is definitely the right rear wheel, rather than the front right.

As it looks like bearings are covered under the Maximum Care extended warranty, I'll probably take it back to my Chrysler. However, if I am not out of line asking, can anyone recommend a Chrysler dealer in the Ocean/Monmouth vicinity (Lakewood NJ}.

Reply to
Barry

Just a quick follow up.

The Dealer had it yesterday, took it on a run and couldn't hear any noise. They checked brakes and bearings and said there were no problems.

The only thing found was a plastic piece at the front of the car that they riveted as it was loose. Couldn't say if that could be the problem.

I'll just have to listen again after a reasonable run.

Reply to
Barry

Ahh! The air dam. That was probably it. It is very common for those to come loose - and when they do, they can rub on the road, tires, and other stuff, adn make noises as you described.

Thanks for the followup post.

Bill Putney