69 383 Ply Roadrunner Top Speed?

Whats the top speed of a 69 383 rr auto with 3:23 rear end?

Reply to
Percy J. Ellington Von Wellinton IIII

Hi

A little shy of 140.

Larry

Reply to
Hemi4268

Larry opines:

Maybe, . . . with a shiney, slick new aerodynamic body, a huge diet losing at least 500 lbs, a perfect tune-up, and a 7% downhill grade, and a steady, 25 mph tailwind. Having owned one, brand new, the Dodge Superbee version, I can attest that Larry's still full of it, and knows not, . . . of that which he opines.

God Bless, Dan'L

Fun to Read:

Dan Larsen

Depends on how many beers the owner has under his belt and how deep the BS is.

Realistically, probably around 120 mph in stock trim, but not for long- the cars weren't designed for continuous high-speed operation and something would fail rather quickly, likely with fatal results.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

In order to run 140 the motor would have to be turning 6100 rpm (figuring 5% converter slip). Quite a task in 1st gear let alone high gear.

Reply to
John Kunkel

If you will notice my friend I said A LITTLE SHY OF 140. A good healthy 383 mag can easly do about 5800 rpm and hold it. That means that the motor will go very quickly to 125 and then pull over 130 slowly heading on it's way to 140.

Yes personal young dumb experience.

Ask any old cop who had a 383 mag 4door Bbody and yes they were made. The big CHP C bodies with 440's would do about the same.

God you are an idot.

Larry Larry

Reply to
Hemi4268

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

I had missed the first post, where automatic was specified - along with 323 gears. The 3 speed automatic with 323 gears was "significantly " slower. Mabee 120 on a real good day.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Or add a JATO and who knows.... :-)

Richard

Richard Smith

I can see some personal experience here. Yes your right. The B body with a healthy 383 mag would easly run to 120 and even 125. Although it took some roadway to get it past 130.

I can hear that 383 singing now. Going through several deep 5000+ rpm tones from 125 on it's way to something just shy of 140.

Larry

Reply to
Hemi4268

Not likely. The air drag at those speeds is enormous and those old magnetic-slip speedos read a lot higher than true speed (like 10- 15 mph higher). A 383 installed in the car with the factory exhaust and air cleaner probably made around 250hp, SAE net- that's not a lot of oomph to push a 4000+ pound brick through the air. All the muscle cars had grossly inflated horsepower and top speed capabilities- the manufacturers did it to sell cars and the motor press went along with it to sell magazines- but those numbers just don't hold up on a dyno or on the track. Hell, a lot of newer econoboxes can run the kind of ET's that those pony cars used to post.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

Baloney, they are.

Go buy a new industrial natural gas generator, not a gigantic one, just maybe a 50KVA unit. You will find a car engine, chevy small block 350 quite often, setup with an exhaust system and intake manifold and distributor tuned to run at continuous high speed operation.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

What a motor can turn in 1st gear and what it can turn in high gear are worlds apart considering parasitic drag increases exponentially. If you consider 120 mph a "little shy of 140" then you must have a penis a "little shy" of 12 inches.

Considering your propensity for bullshit I'll take your claim with a grain of salt. In my equally dumb youth my near new '68 GTX with a 440 would barely do 130 with 3.23 gears and I gave it a good run at sea level on a cool day.

440's yes, 383's no. A '69 CHP 440 Polara with 2.76 gears and 28" pursuit radials would barely touch 140.

No, that's your domain.

Reply to
John Kunkel

Although some stripper RR's weight in at around 3250, many BB were at that 4000 lb level.

And sure it was a brick but even a brick with a tail wind will do some speed. I think some people in Florida have actually seen this last week.

So I still say a RR with 323 gears would do just shy of 140. If it be only 132 because of speedo errors so be it.

Larry

Reply to
Hemi4268

I would believe that since GTX's usually ran closer to 4000 lbs then 3000 lbs, that 130 figure is correct. Where as, many stripper RR's bounced around the

3250 weight figure. So your GTX going 130 would be about the same as a stripper RR going 130 pulling a 700 lbs trailer.

Larry

Reply to
Hemi4268

The only way you'll find a 3250 lb. RR is if it has no motor. The difference between a 383 and a 440 is about 80 lbs. The RR and the GTX are based on the same Belvedere unibody, same trans, same rear end. Where's the 700+ lbs. difference you claim?

Reply to
John Kunkel

Well so you say. Although I am gald you now see it my way. Years ago we had a big discussion about the weight difference between a 383 and 440. I said all you need to do is install an aluminum manifold and water pump assembly on that

440 and you have a 440 motor lighter then a 383. Now it looks like that is true which I knew all along.

Larry

Reply to
Hemi4268

See what your way? Where's the answer to my challenge to show the 700 lb. difference?

You were wrong then and you're wrong now. The weight of an iron intake and WP is about 38 and 20 respectively for a total of 58 lbs. The equivalents in aluminum are 13 and 8 for as total of 21. (Actual weights on a digital scale)

If you remove your shoes you'll count a difference of 37 lb. Hardly enough to equal the weight let alone make the 440 lighter.

Reply to
John Kunkel

That other weigth is around you head or maybe even your behind since you such a fat ass.

I am not going to go back and forth about weight. If you think a fully loaded GTX is only 80 lbs heaver then a stripper Roadrunner go ahead. Although, most of the 700 lbs could be made up by your fat ass alone.

Larry

Reply to
Hemi4268

English as a second language? Never said the CAR weight difference was 80 lbs, engine weight was what I referred to. You just can't stand it when your off-the-wall bogus claims are countered with verifiable fact.

In desperation you try to make it seem that I'm comparing a loaded GTX to a stripper RR. Next you'll claim I compared a /6 Dart to an Imperial. Don't you realize the entire thread is there for all to read?

Reply to
John Kunkel