92 Caravan transmission pbm

92 Dodge Caravan with 3.3 L engine.

Here is the latest that showed up this week.. About 6 months ago I had the Transmission cable replaced It had broken. Since then the indicator has not been right. It is about 1/2 way out of allignemt with the indicator on the dash. It sits well over into the neutral position when in drive.... also on occations the car would not start.. Upon selecting .. park, 1st, back to park it will start fine and functons fine.

This past week all of a sudden I find it is in second gear constantly although it is selected as drive... the phenominon starts this way only as I back out of the garage..as I shift into drive it missses... like droping into neutral for a second .. 2 seconds after I pull out in drive, then drops into second gear.. and will never leave second gear.. the only solution I have found so far is to select 1st.. and pull away then select second and then drive.. and the transmission will take over normally, fully automatic in drive.

Any clues what to look for??

cheers Marv

Reply to
Islander

This year and type of vehicle has known long-term transmission reliability issues. You do not provide the mileage and maintenance history so there is insufficient information to even venture a guess as to the cause.

What I can tell you is that the stuck in 2nd gear is by design. The transmission computer has identified some type of problem and put the transmission into 2nd gear to allow you to drive it immediately to a competent service location. If you continue to drive it, then it will cause major damage and definitely require a rebuilt transmission.

The service mechanic can use a tool to read the diagnostic code and determine what forced the limp home mode. This would be money well spent to know if it is a $25 speed sensor (a common problem) or an internal seal or hard part failure requiring a rebuild. As stated previously, these transmissions were very sensitive. They required regular trans fluid and filter changes and many recommend adding a separate and additional transmission fluid cooler. They also had software that changed to improve long term reliability. So, the maintenance history and other symptoms (do you still have a speedometer working?) are needed.... you are best to take it in to see what is stored in the diagnostic code on the computer.

Good luck and let us know what you find. You can learn a lot more on this trans by doing a Google archive search on this newsgroup.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Gotta go with Bob on this one. I have a 94 GC. If your trans is 92 and has not been rebuilt, then you are likely overdue for some major work.

Hit Google, and check out the hundreds, if not thousands of posts about the 4 speed auto trans.

Reply to
NewMan

Makes sense.. History.. 150KKM on the vehicle. The records show that the previous owner had the trans replaced under warrenty. Last year the trans was leaking, it was pulled and the torque converter had a leak. All else was ok. The converter had numbers painted on it. which here means it was from a wrecker. (right) ?? This work was done under warenty by a reputable dealer. I ask why..a used one. when under warenty? However.. different story.

If thiis problem is a sensor or electrical issue 2 things possible. last month I had the starter out for new contacts. I had to remove the electical connector from the top of the transmission to get a wrench at this bolt. I may not have it seated properly. and/or it has rained here for the past 28 days. everything is totally waterlogged. Back in the 70s I had a shift kit put in our 76 ford van... Is there such a thinkg for the Caravan available? If I have it apart again is this a good option to look at? I know on the ford C6 transmission it was recommended by several back at this time.. to date 140K mikes on it and the only thing not rebuilt is the trans.

In any case... I am off to the dealrer to get the code read.

cheers Marv.

Reply to
Islander

28 Days??? You in Vancouver, BC?? If so, I can direct you to a good tranny shop!

As for a shift kit, I think you are out of luck. In transmissions like the old GM turbo 350 and turbo 400, they were machanical tranmissions with bands. The "shift kit" was to mechanically "reprogram" the transmission so that it would raise the RPMs and then "drop" into the next gear. The idea was, if I am not mistaken, that you were minimizing the transition time between gears - and in the process reducing the time the bands were engaged. If you minimize the time and load placed on the bands, you reduced the wear, and extended the life of the transmission.

The A604 4 speed transmission from DC has no bands. It is a fully electronically controlled system. The computer not only controlls how the trans shifts, it "learns" your driving patterns and will modify how it controls the trans based on your driving habits.

I know when my solenoid pack was replaced, and the proper fluid installed, the trans runs a LOT better. It shifts fast & smooth. Short of hacking the code and putting your own chip into the transmisison computer, I think you are out of luck on that one.

Any idea of how many kms on the van when the tranny wa sreplaced under warranty?

I bought my van with about 128,000 km, the trans had had a "patch" job done on it, and crapped out totally at about 130,000 km. It was rebuilt by a shop, and I got to 51.5 weeks when their rebuild failed! That was at about 147,000. They rebuilt it again on warrany (cussing under their breath ;).

I am now around 180,000 and the only additional work was the solenoid pack. All AOK (touch wood).

From what I have read hear, if you maintain the trans - changing fluid and filter between 1 to 2 years - and don't haul loads all the time with the van, you can get good mileage out of them.

In any case, e-mail me if you are in Vancouver. I'mm set you up with an awesome shop - and tell you who I would avoid! ;)

hth

Reply to
NewMan

Nope... on Saltspring Island.,.and it is still raining.. Gonna float away here any day now.

Limp mode into the dealer in Victoria is not an option. I may be able to make it to the dealer in Duncan on some back roads but these guys were the ones who did the "Wrecker fix" on the trans at about 85K

I havwe done a LOT of reading on here and on the mopar site.. Strange one.. I have .. it seems.. I am sometimes in limp mode someimes not.. I just figured out how to do the trouble code tests (Hiddin on me in the Haynes Manual -which I never trust anyhow) I come up with 5 5 which says trouble codes complete and no faults.. SO Now I am lost.. No garage here has a code reader but I find one of the salesman at the Parts Store I work for part time has one. I wll take it in to Jim tomorrow Morning.

cheers Marv

Reply to
Islander

The ignition trick is for reading the engine/emissions computer. It does not read the transmission computer. You need a code reader to get those results. If it went into limp mode, then there should be a reason code stored there.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

OK I finally got it to Jim today and his code reqder says.

36 50 51 for trouble codes.

I have done some searching on the web, found some code sites, but nothing makes sense so far. is there a place where I can find these specific codes for this specific vehicle.??

Jim purged all the codes and reset the computer. We were just out for dinner and so ar so good. >< (fingers croosed)

Cheers Marv

Reply to
Islander