96 Caravan 3 l oil pan gasket replacement

I just tightened the very loose bolts on my leaking oil pan, and the leaks are now much worse. Haynes says that to replace the gasket, the exhaust pipe must be disconnected, all mounts removed, and the engine on hoist from above to get access to some of the bolts. Is there any way to replace the gasket without this much work? No doubt the exhaust studs will break, the mount bolts will be seized, and I'd need to rent a portable lift. Anyone found another way to reseal the pan?

Thks.

Reply to
Mike C1

Daniel J. Stern

Reply to
Mike C1

The URL above is *very* helpful. If not now, then later. Think about it. Working on your car without a factory service manual is pennywise and poundfoolish, not to mention just plain dumb. A factory service manual is the FIRST tool you buy before you so much as replace a burned out license plate light bulb. If you refuse to help yourself, it's unreasonable to expect others to help you.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Reply to
Mike C1

And the '96 factory service manual does not give instructions for performing this chore, either. It does provide instructions for the 4 cyl and 3.3/3.8 but not for the 3.0. I can tell you for sure that the

3.3L does not require all that work.....just unbolt it and remove it.
Reply to
Steve

Yes: The one put out by Chrysler. Hence "Factory Service Manual". They can be had from the dealer parts department or, if you have some time, on Ebay.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern