96 neon speedo

I have a 1996 neon highline and have noticed that while driving the speedo needle will drop down to "0" and stay there for awhile. The next day it will work fine again. Then a day or so latter it will stop working. When it has stopped working the odometer also doesn't advance. My mechanic is not sure weather it is the speed sensor or some gear connection in the transmission since every time I bring it in, it works. Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas?

Reply to
Mike Anzel

maxpower

Probably your Vehicle Speed and Distance Sensor. They can go intermittent like this.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I agree with Dan and have seen this before on two other Chrysler vehicles. The OP does not indicate if this is a manual transmission or automatic. If automatic, if the speed sensor goes out, then the transmission should go to

2nd gear/limp mode. Since this is not mentioned, then I presume the vehicle is a manual trans or possibly the bad connection is in the instrument cluster as another poster suggested.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

The 96 Neon has a three speed hydraulic automatic transmission. Doesn't need the speed sensor.

Reply to
Bill 2

Nope, the '96 Neon has a 3-speed hydromechanical transmission that has no "limp mode" and will continue to operate normally even if the speed/distance sensor is flaky.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Reply to
Delbe Comeau

That explains it then. Thanks.

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Thanks to all who responded to my post. The neon is a AT with only 48,000 miles. My mechanic went so far as to order the speed sensor even though it was working when he checked it out. He wasn't 100% sure that that is what will fix it but was 90% sure. I decided not to install it until the speedo broke again. After reading through these posts, I will wait until it happens again and them rap the dash and see if it comes back. I seem to remeber when it did break, I was driving over a bump and it stoped working. This could more likely be the insturment cluster then the speed sensor.

Reply to
Mike Anzel

Reply to
maxpower

Would my mechanic know how to change this cicuit board or would I be better off going to the dealer for this repair? Is this an expensive repair?

Reply to
Mike Anzel

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks to all who responded to my post. I did exactly what you told me to do. The speedo needle just died on me today, and I "slapped" the top of the dash board and low and behold, the needle started to work. A few seconds latter, it stopped working again so I slapped the dash and it now works fine. Your advice saved me from changing the speed sensor. I also told my mechanic who said he doesn't feel comfortable with troubleshooting the insturment cluster, so I guess I will continue to slapp the damn thing, or get a price quote from the rip-off dealer.

Reply to
Mike

I had a similar problem on my Voyager. Driving along, look down at the speedo and both it and the tachometer are at zero. Stop and re-start and both return to normal operation.

Some time later, the battery died and the speedo/tacho problem went away after I fitted a new battery.

Reply to
Whoever

Reply to
John_F