I like to know how fast I'm going.

My speed odometer does't work. I've replaced instrument panel twice. I also replace V.S.S. sensor and still nothing. Some good direction would be very helpful. Thanks

Reply to
wagon bob

Buy a GPS. They have speedometers in them using GPS tracking. Mine shows on the main screen along with what the speed limit is. If I go over, it turns red

John

My speed odometer does't work. I've replaced instrument panel twice. I also replace V.S.S. sensor and still nothing. Some good direction would be very helpful. Thanks

Reply to
John Hartshorn

You don't mention if it's something you really want to fix correctly, or if it's a old truck that you don't want to invest a fortune in and just want to know how fast your going....

If it's the latter, you can as was mentioned get a gps (if you don't have one already) that will tell you your speed. They are very accurate and an old Garmin can even be picked up used on ebay or the such. You wont need to update the maps on it as you are primarily interested in it for speed.

The other option which is cheaper and better than a GPS if you have a smart phone...Download the app "waze"....It's free, always has the latest maps and because it's user interactive, it has my favorite feature: Police & red light camera locations....Users hit a button when they see a cop and it pops up on the map...every user that passes by the same location will hit "still there" or "not there" to keep it accurate... I know it's a bit off topic from a non working speed-o-meter, but it kills two birds with one stone: You'll know how fast you are going, and where the cops are that will give you a ticket for not knowing how fast you are going.. :)

Reply to
IYM

Is the IP in this mystery vehicle one that needs to have the dealer put the VIN into in order for it to function?

Reply to
>>>Ashton Crusher

replying to >>>Ashton Crusher, wagon bob wrote: Sorry for not giving you enough information. I'm new to this so please be patient. I've got a 1990 Chevy g-20 van.My problem is that my speedometer doesn't work. I've replace instrument cluster and the vehicle speed sensor. Still it didn't fix the problem. If possible is their a step by step on how to find the problem .

Reply to
wagon bob

Sounds like a wiring problem or a computer problem. TO my limited knowledge, the VVS sensor output goes to the computer and the computer tells the speedometer needle what to do. So a back computer or bad wires could muck up the process. Seems likely that the computer

*might* also be controlling the transmission shift points based on the VSS output. What you could try is to disconnect the wires from teh VVS at the transmission and see if that causes the transmission to act funny. If it does, then it means the VSS signal, when the VSS is connected, is getting to the computer and it's able to do what it needs to to control the transmission. That would leave you looking for some break in the wiring between teh computer and the speedometer, assuming your new speedo head is good. If disconnecting it doesn't change transmission operation then perhaps all the VSS is used for is to drive the speedo and you still won't know if it's wring or computer.
Reply to