98 Voyager...cluster board problem

Few month ago i was writing:

Hi everyone. I have a problem as once in a while i start the car and nothing works on the dash board. Neither the temperature gage nor the gaz gage nor the speed needle. Everything is dead only on the board. Everything else works fine. And it comes back to normal after few hours of non running the car such at the nex morning. Anyone ever had the same problem? Thanks in advance. L.G.R. =======================

Last week as I was angry because of that problem, I slapped hard on top of my dash and everything started working fine. And I repeted it a couple times again. It seems to work. Even the "service engine" indicator light went off.

Remind me of my old TV set in the years 60 that was working fine after a few sharp blows. Same with my wife. No, no, just a joke.

Have a good day all. L.G.R.

Reply to
L.G.R.

I had a similar problem with my 2001 T&C, turned out to be a bad connection between the little orange cable and the battery terminal. Check your grounds and for a short in the circuit.

Reply to
bba

Yes,

The cluster pcb's are no strangers to being bad. Watch for more frequent failures, and possible no-start conditions to begin. Check voltage at "bus+" and "bus-" wires going into cluster to make sure they read about 2.25 volts. Probe each of the two individually to ground with a voltmeter with the iginition in the on postition. Van does not need to be running. Rougly 2 to 2.5 is OK. Anything higher such as 3 volts or above may indicate a problem with the cluster board. Usually when they become bad, these lines read between 5 and 9 volts. This is way too much voltage for correct data to transmit reliably on the CCD bus communication lines. Aside from other possible problems, this shouldnt be crossed of until this condition is checked and confirmed to not to be bad before moving on. Bill

Reply to
Bill