99 T&C Headlights

Any suggestions on replacement low and high beam bulbs for this van.As most people know the headlights on these are not the greatest in the world.I am looking for an improvement that is workable with the present wiring but legal.Thanks in advance. Dan

Reply to
Dan

Nothin' much you can do. Sylvania wants you to buy their SilverStar garbage; it is expensive, short-lived, and worsens(!) the headlamps' performance. The wiring in that van starves the bulbs, which relays and heavy-gauge wiring would fix, but you've said "No wiring changes", so that's out. The high beams could be upgraded substantially by replacing the 9005 bulbs with 9011s, but no such mod is possible with the low beams, because they take that straight-base 9005 bulb for which no legitimate upgrades are made.

Vestatec makes a very good quad projector beam setup for that van, but are you ready to sink $700 into headlamps?

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

What possible solutions ate there to improve the headlight performance on MY

2003 T&C? Would putting in a relay to light both filiments work? Or would I overheat the bulb and/or base?

Thanks Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Vmaxx quad projector beam setup w/Hella optics -- around $800 for halogen, around $2500 for Xenon.

European-market stock headlamps, nice ZKW-made items with quad H7 reflector beams, if you've got friends in Europe. Price varies by source.

It would sooner or later give you a good reason to get new headlamp assemblies, as the 100% thermal overload within the bulb presents the severe risk of bulb explosion, which destroys the headlamp completely. Maybe you'd be unlucky enough for the bulb glass to hold long enough for the doubly-overloaded common ground wire to barbecue, and take some or all of what's in its path with it. Switching relay, BCM, beam selector switch...

In one word, DON'T!

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Do you know of any way to order from Vmaxx? They do not respond to numerous e-mails.

Thanks! Beefing up the wiring I would have expected, blowing up the head lamp I wouldn't have!

Reply to
Kevin

What are you putting in the e-mails? They, like many other German companies, don't respond to lengthy "essay" type e-mails from abroad.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Basically, "Can you direct me to a dealer that will sell / ship to the USA" . In both English and German.

Reply to
Kevin

Well, that *should* work. They are going through a major reorganisation right now, but I did speak to them on the phone just a few days ago.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern