99 T&C Limited Tranny problem 3.8 eng

Sorry my computer took a dump so I'm reposting the same question: On cold mornings sometimes my van won't move when I put it in drive. Sometimes it goes but at the first shift point it slips back into neutral so I coast to the side. After I let it idle for a bit in N it is OK and then behaves fine. Only when cold and only once or twice has this happened. Fluid level's fine. Should I take it to the trans shop and replace the fluid and filters? It has 100K miles and has never to my knowledge had the transmission serviced.

Reply to
Dan
100K on the original fluid and filter ... YES! It is time to have it changed. (I do mine in 4 separate Chrysler transmission I own every 30-36K.)

Also, do not let them convince you to do the "in line flush" since it will leave the dirty filter and lot's of crap in the bottom of the pan. You absolutely need to drop the pan and clean it out completely (I use brake cleaner and paper towels) and change that filter. I realize this only gets about 50% of the fluid so if you are anal about things, run the vehicle for a day or two and then have them do the in line flush or drop the pan again and get 50% of the mixed fluid out. Also, use ONLY Chrysler ATF+4 fluid!

Good luck and I hope this fixes your symptoms.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Reply to
Dan

I don;t know of any trans that works perfect on a real cold start. The pump has to pump the oil through the system, but when the temperture is realy cold it take a while to get the oil press. up. I believe that Chrysler has a cold trans fix (update in the TCM)

Reply to
utrechtman