Chrysler Australia Ltd. Might be Question for Daniel J.Stern

Hello All,

It's been few years since I have taken part in your groups, Since then I have bought myself 2002 KJ Jeep Cherokee Limited (Thats what they called them in Australia) and (Australian Made) 1979 CM Chrysler (Valiant) Regal SE with Hemi 6 265 ELB as cheaper option (when new) than 318 V8 Fireball (in mint condition) which will be my show car for Chrysler events here in Oz.

Daniel J. Stern might know these answers.

These quotes are after to meet strict emission laws that came in effect in 1976 in Australia

Hemi 245 with ELB has (114kW) at 4400rpm Hemi 265 with ELB has (124kW) at 4400rpm

318 V8 Fireball with ELB (105kW) at 4500rpm without Air Condititioning

My questiion why was 318 V8 was such slug? and also drinks more gas too. In comparison to the Hemi 6's all with ELB

Other Question Also from R Series to VF 1962-1969 was the Slant 6 made in Australia at Tonsley or Lonsdale Engine plants or imported from the US or Canada (as it was cheaper tax to import from Canada to Australia than from the US due to the Australia and Canada Commonwealth tax laws.) I know for fact 273 V8 was imported from Canada in the AP6 onwards but not sure about the Slant 6.

Like your help on some of these answers.

Thanks in advance Merv Stent

Reply to
Amigaman

I have not seen a post from DS on this NG for some time. He used to be a regular poster.

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

He hasn't been around the truck group lately either. He can be contacted via his website here:

Nosey

The 318 has always been, and will always be, a slug.

In 1976 the 318 was a 30 year old idea in a 20 year old design. They didn't improve it much in the 25 years following, either.

JS

Reply to
JS

ADR27!

That's 152, 166 and 141 hp, for those keeping track in America, where the, erm, "standard" system of measurement is used.

Stone-age combustion chamber and induction, low compression and restrictive exhaust system. The cheapest way to comply with emission regulations was to modify existing hardware rather than creating new. So, an engine that ran very well and produced good power without emission controls wound up strangled and sluggish when equipped therewith halfarsedly. Same reason why the slant-6 was down to 85 athsmatic, ineffectual, pathetic horsepower (that's 63kW!) by the time it was finally put out of its misery. It's worth noting that the 318 carried on being a slug in factory configuration until it was *finally* given a proper redesign for 1992, with brand-new and thoughtfully-designed combustion chambers, induction and exhaust systems, proper engine management and higher compression. Halfway measures get engines past their Federal certification tests, but that's all they do...performance, driveability and economy all go right out the window.

The Hemi-6 had more efficient combustion chambers and other systems, so had an easier time meeting emissions requirements without strangulation/hang-on-and-pray type emission control devices.

"ELB", for those not familiar with the Australian term, = Electronic Lean Burn (usually just called "Lean Burn" in North America). Somehow or another, Chrysler Australia managed to have a more successful go with Lean Burn than their US counterparts did.

R & S models sold as 1962s, and early-production AP5s in 1963: Imported from North America (both US and Canada) Late AP5 through VF: Made in Australia

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Hello Daniel,

Thanks for taking the time to reply back,I know you are busy at car lighting business.

You amaze me with your knowage of CAL and you life in the US! I live in Australia and I it's getting very hard to find any information on CAL thanks to Mitsubishi Australia destroying most information all parts etc on CAL and boy parts are going though the roof.My CM Regal SE was missing the genuine SE fuel cap with lock up keys.For a new one cost $850 and second hand one $550 Crazy! I guess the ordinary one on it will have to do for now.I originally wanted VK 265 Charger,or any Charger for that matter but they just don't exist! The ones on the market in mint condition go up from for $15,000 VH XL 245 and don't talk about R/T's.Least my Chrysler will be kept in the garage.

Thanks in advance Merv Stent

Reply to
Amigaman

Mr. Stern abandoned the States for the cooler climate of Canada. I think they still let him cross the border if he has been good.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard