Chrysler cuts powertrain warranty to 5 years

By far most diesel 2500's and 3500's are sold for personal use. Goes for Ford, Chevy or Dodge. I have one and use it to tow my trailer.

Reply to
miles

Reminds me of the Ford lawsuit - I'm thinking sometime in the 60's or

70's: Ford TV commercials showed their 4WD pickup trucks being briskly driven over creek beds with huge rocks in them. When consumers tried the same thing on the new trucks they bought, all kinds of serious damage occurred. Ford lost the lawsuit.

In our present day litigious society, I'm surprised they get away with some of the irresponsible car advertising they do. Seems like a shrewd lawyer could make a bundle off a couple of accidents with lifelong injuries or fatalities. It's only a matter of time.

Reply to
Bill Putney

Here's one, it sez here:

Pete E. Kruzer

Zippo lighters, they are still loving their warranty :-)

Reply to
Jim Higgins

It's not about product confidence, it's about reducing costs.

Reply to
who

Well... I had a Sears lifetime warranty on an alternator. While it's true they eventually cancelled the warranty as it was too expensive to replace every couple of years (seems like putting in an alternator that wasn't crap would have been cheaper and avoided PR problems, but never mind), when they did they refunded the purchase (including installation) price of the alternator. It is hard to argue with that.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

It's much simpler than that. Both GM & Chrysler need the products many people want to buy, neither have a car I'm interested. Nothing has changed since the bankruptcies.

A 5 year warranty is fine for me. If there's a significant weakness it will show up within 5 years.

Reply to
Josh S

As to having cars I don't want, I agree with you, but in a different way. When we were going to replace our 2005 PT Convertible, strictly to get more gas mileage, we went to the Honda store. When a salesman came over, we said we wanted to see the highest gas mileage car they had. They led us to the Fit. I was in the mood and just said, "Ok, lets do the deal, this is the goddamndest ugliest car I have ever seen, but it gets

38mpg". He was stunned that I could think a Honda was ugly! My wife and I sat in the car and basically felt we were in a clown car, she felt unsafe. She said "No Thanks". On the way out, she said no more little, tinny cars. She wanted something she felt safe in. She did like the Element, but hell, it got the same mileage as the PT! Hondas and Toyotas seats were too low to the floor, we like chair high seats, so that dictated our choice of cars to look at.

"What do you mean there's no movie?"

Reply to
CountFloyd