chrysler fuel gauge

Hi everyone, i have grand voyager 2001 3.3 limited when driving along fuel gauge is all over the place and doesn't read right. As anyone got any ideas please.

Reply to
grokies

The float sender in the tank is a known trouble-maker in late 90s vans. My

98 has this problem once in a while. BTW the last year for production of the Voyager and the Plymouth brand in general was 1999, so I presume yours is actually a Caravan.
Reply to
Dave Gower

My 96 did the same thing. When it got to half tank it would drop to empty set off the chime, back to half etc. You have to drop the tank, take out the fule pump module, and replace the sender. It's not a bad job. The hardest part is seperating the fule and vent lines. dave

Reply to
davebz1a

My '96 Town and Country did the same thing. The level would drop to zero, the pleasing chime would chime, the level would go back to normal then repeat this cycle with annoying frequency. If it wasn't for the damn chime, you could pretty much live with it. While contemplating what to do, the problem "cured itself" and has not returned in about the last

100,000 miles.

Maybe the OP will get lucky too.

Ken

snipped-for-privacy@> My 96 did the same thing. When it got to half tank it would drop to

Reply to
KWS

Same here on my '99, but it didn't cure itself. I changed out the sender. Not a bad job. You'll need some kind of a strap wrench to reconnect the tank cap (if it is like the '99). I tried a spanner, couldn't get it tight enough to stop leaking. Strap wrench did the trick.

I was going to just disconnect the annoying chime and go without, however, was told can't be done because of the solid state nature of the instrument cluster. Don't know if that is true or not.

Also told that a gas additive caused it. Seems like there is a class action suit on it. I got a notice of some sort about participation.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

If you were inclined to do that, you could use a resistor between the sender wire (accessible under the dash) and ground to fake a tank level reading to the BCM.

Yeah, Frank - probably you read about the Shell fiasco in Canada - some bad gas messed up people's fuel gage senders. However, that happened more than a couple of years ago.

Bill Putney