Chrysler Sebring - 2003 - Trunk

I have a 2003 Chrysler Sebring and my trunk "attacked" me for the second time!

Both times I was putting groceries in my car and the trunk fell on me. I always make sure it is all the way up but it does seem rather loose when I close it. It also seems heavy to open.

I "Googled" - would this be the trunk struts causing this to happen? If so, expensive to repair? Can a garage mechanic replace or would I need to go to the dealership?

Any information is really appreciated.

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn Lynn

I'll assume it's got to skinny rods on each side that go between the body opening and the side of the trunk lid. Usually they are about a foot long black body with a foot long silver rod sticking out when the trunk is open. Most likely you need to replace one or both of them . A gas station would probably charge you about $100 for the work and parts. If you buy the parts at

it will probably cost you around $35 or so for the two strut rods and putting them in is pretty simple, usually a couple bolts or snap connectors.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Yes - the gas struts. The local auto parts store would have them. Shipping costs would probably eat up any savings from on-line mail order, so just buy locally. Be sure to keep the receipt handy (in your glove box) - most of them have a lifetime guarantee, but they generally only last 2 to 4 years.

Reply to
Bill Putney

Thank you so much for your prompt response. I'm a "granny" so probably would not attempt it myself but daughter has some friends that could probably help me!

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn Lynn

Thank you for your reply.

Once again, I "googled" and it doesn't seem like too difficult a job. I think I know someone that might be able to change the struts for me.

I can't afford to get "beat up" by my trunk again. My arm is really bruised!

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn Lynn

Yeah - it's no more than a 5 or 10 minute job. If they're weak now, it would only be worse in cold weather.

Reply to
Bill Putney