cirrus plug seals & distributor

Greetings.

My Daughter's car was hard starting, and now totally dead.

My daughter's mechanic told me he has to change the spark plug seals. (He told me the plugs go traight through the valve covers - that's the way they are on my brother's 67 belvedere.) He told me he has to take the intake manifold off to get tot the back three seals. Is this correct? I would think it would be a fairly simple job to change the seals once the plugs are out - maybe take valve cover off.

Also he said he needed to change the distributor. I see them for $213.98 at Advance Auto Parts. He wants to charge me $400 for parts and he tells me he isn't marking it up.

So what's the time it is going to take to change seals and to change out distributor, plugs, and wires? Can he get a decent distriutor for about 200 bucks?

I would probably do the work myself but her car is 300 miles away.

regards, Bob

Reply to
N9NEO

Was this car built by any particular manufacturer, in any particular year? Does it have any particular engine? What the mechanic is saying would be true for some engines and false for others.

Note that when you say "maybe take valve cover off", one of my (non-Chrysler) vehicles requires taking the top half of the two-part intake manifold off to remove the valve covers. For that matter, you have to do remove it to replace the PCV valve.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

If oil is leaking into the plug holes the seals must be replaced and it does require the intake to be removed to access the plugs, wires and seals. I would use MOPAR plug wires and not cheap ones. The last time I priced a distributor for that vehicle from the dealer was 1400.00 And no it isn't a typo. There are alot of junk parts out there that are claimed to be remanufactured and wont last long at all so be careful what you get. If you can find one with a good warranty purchase it instead of the cheapest one. I know this is a 2.5 6cyl because the only other engine application would be a

4 cyl that went into that vehicle. But always post engine size, year and make when asking for help.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Did he say why?

What is wrong with the distributor? Changing the distributor is a common tatic if the mechanic's diagnostic machine says that the spark is uneven. The idea is that a worn distributor shaft throws the spark timing off. Sometimes this is true. More times it isn't. In any case, what wears out are the distributor bearings. If the distributor is pulled then you can check easily to see if there is play in the shaft that shouldn't be there, and there's likely a local auto electrical place that could replace the bearings if so. You can also get a distributor out of a wrecker pretty cheaply.

I would tell him to leave the distributor alone, frankly. Unless he has pulled it and is telling you the shaft play is a problem. In which case I would go with a wrecking yard distributor. As long as the mechanicals in the wrecking yard distributor are fine, you can transfer the electronics from the old one to the new one. A lot of wreckers will deliver parts to the mechanics.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

The OP said it would not start, So I assume the distributor is bad

Changing the distributor is a

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
man of machines

You cannot trademark numbers so even a legitimate manufacturer can use the Chrysler part numbers with no problem.

Are the Mopar logos with the pentagram on the parts?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I hope you meant "Pentastar".

Larry

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Larry

I guess Cerberus will be changing more than we thought....

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Something to do with that whole guardian of the underworld thing? :-p

I seem to recall that the Pentastar was going to make a comeback as the corporate trademark, but then I never heard anything else. I hope it does. It may only date to the early 60s (the ribbon-and-medallion is much older, and so is the "DPCD" interlocking letter mark that was on all the parts for years) but the star is still the most recognizable insignia of Chrysler. Right up there with Ford's oval and the block GM.

Reply to
Steve

Exactly.

Well, it's on the chryslerllc.com website.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

....not exactly prominent, is it?

(I have to confess that's the first time I've ever looked at the Chrysler LLC website)

Reply to
Steve

Owning a 1940 Chrysler and having owned Chrysler products all my life, I prefer the old ribbon/medallion as it was the original Chrysler logo and has the history of the corporation behind it. The pentastar did not even say "Chrylser" on it like the medallion. Also, my original keys still have the DPCD on them.

Reply to
Count Floyd

The ribbon/medallion is fine for the Chrysler DIVISION logo, but the corporate mark is better off being something clean and simple, like the pentastar. Think along the lines of the block GM versus the Cadillac coat-of-arms.

Reply to
Steve