Clockspring failure/air bag light on

Chrylser/Dodge vehicles have had/are having problems with something called the clockspring assembly. Failure manifests itself through illumination of the air bag warning lamp.

On 1997 and 1998 models, there is a recall for this failure: NHTSA Campaign ID Number 02V293000.

My 1999 Grand Caravan had this problem at about 40k miles and it cost about $200 COD for the repair. Last January, I filed a report on my vehcile with the NHTSA Office of Defects Investigation. Today they contacted me, asking whether I happened to have the failed part -- I didn't.

If you have this failure and it is not covered by warranty or recall, I urge you to file an incident report at

If you happened to still have the failed, old part, be sure to mention that in your report. Hopefully, this issue will become subject to a recall and those who have had to pay to have the part replaced can be reimbursed.

Ed P

Reply to
Ed P