Oil pressure gauge reading question 89 Gr Caravan 3.0

I have noticed that the oil pressure gauge in the dash is reading about 3/4 of the way to the max on startup. After the engine is warm the gauge will dip down to about 1/4 when I come to a stop and idle. This is not typical of my van (it used to read 3/4 all the time) and only started doing this after I had replaced the front oil seal a couple days ago. I havn't done any other work to the engine. Everything else seems to be working well and the pressure gauge doesn't get lower than 1/4.

Is there something I negelected to do to the oil pump (prime it, clean it, pray to the oil pump gods...)? The crappy haynes manual doesn't mention anything needed to re-install it. The manual did say I had to remove the pump in order to get the seal off, but did not say any extra steps were needed to put back on. Next, is this a sign that I'll want/need to replace the pump? I'd rather do it sooner than later if I have to.

If someone can tell me the error of my ways in re-installing the pump, I'd be able to save the cash on a replacement. A replacement pump surely won't fit into my budget, but if I must, let me know that too!

Ric

Reply to
Ric

Sharon K. Cooke

I noticed my '84 was having a lower than normal and then erratic reading. Turned out that the push-on connector (Female) was not a snug fit on the male end of the sending unit. Gently squeezing with a tool in my tool box fixed that problem. Be careful you don't squeeze too much otherwise you will need a screw driver or other tool to open it up a bit.

Make sure there is no oil dripping from the sending unit - that means a replacement is needed.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Pisichko