A/C drain on E350 van....

I'm trying to track down a problem with the front A/C drain on my 91 E350 van. We turn on the A/C, after a while things drip from under the evaporator (right side of the vehicle up under the dash). Anyway, the evaporator unit looks sealed, and many times we see some water draining from under the engine. However, we're getting flooded in the passenger side carpet.

So, I removed the cover and what I see is the evaporator unit and then a metal box of some sort with electronics inside. Apparently, the water is draining from the evaporator and leaking back into this electronics unit of some kind, draining out the access port...

Can anyone tell me what this metal box with electronics is for/does? What's the best way to get to the drain port? Will the evaporator cover come off reasonably easy, or am I going to have to pull the entire unit?

Thanks for any hints.

chg

Reply to
Charles Gilley

There should be a rubber hose, elbow shaped, protruding through the firewall into the engine compartment, probably easiest to see from underneath on the passenger-side. It is probably plugged up. You should be able to clean it out with something, it is about the size of a finger.

Good luck,

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

If you can, bend the hose so it's above the bottom of the evap housing. Then squirt some X-14 (mildew remover) into it, let it sit, and then drain. Chances are it's completely plugged with algae.

Also, chances are good that there's all sorts of leaves and crud in the evap housing itself blocking drainage. If you can't open it, you may have to cut it open with a dremel tool - not for the faint of heart, as you may cut open the evaporator, and then pay $$$$$ to get it working again.....

Why oh why don't car makers put access doors into the housing? Or make the bottom half removable? Or provide some way to clean the !"#$%& thing?

--Kamus

Reply to
Kamus of Kadizhar

I'll try and find the mildew killer... It looks like the housing bolts to the firewall on the inside of the passenger compartment. The weird thing is that there is no drain hose that I can see (means it's somewhere else, I know). So, I'll poke around some more. Any idea what the electronics are underneath the evaporator?

re: access doors: Makers do one thing - make it as cheap as possible. There is some thought given to maintenance and access, but it is all a trade off. Still, I'd settle for a standard oil filter installation that doesn't leave oil all over the block.....

Reply to
Charles Gilley