Cruiser Timing Belt

Is the motor on the PT Cruiser the type that will eat its valves if the belt breaks? When does Chrysler recommend that it be changed?

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

If it is the 2.4L, the recommend change is 101,000 miles. At least that is what is specified for my Dodge Stratus. I will probably change it before that, along with the water pump.

As I recall, the 2.4L, is not an engine that you would want to have the belt break on. You may be able to obtain more info from allpar.com, in the *engines* section.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

The 2.4L in the 1st gen stratus was a non-interference design - no damage if the belt broke, but you won't go anywhere. I had the belt and water pump replaced at 95K mi.

bob

Reply to
Robert Meyer

Richard, Chrysler recommends the timing belt be replaced at 120k schedule "A" and "B" maintenance and the 2.4 engine is a free wheeling engine, The pistons will not hit the valves if the belt breaks.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks, guys. I'm coming up on 94k.