240 Volvo Odometer Again

Hello again to all:

I posted here a few weeks back with questions on the Odometer and the Overdrive on an 1989 249 DL.

Both suggestions were correct, the relay had a cracked solder joint on the Overdrive, and that problem is solved.

The Odometer was the small planetary gear under the electric motor on the connection board where the cable from the harness plugs in.

I located a gear and took the unit apart and replaced it. Everything worked but the dash lights. My wife couldn't see the instruments after dark.

So the next weekend I removed the cluster again and reconnected the wire. Now it wouldn't start.

So after troubleshooting yesterday, got it started again, and the Speedo and Odo wouldn't work, and the Speedo did an dance from 0 to 120 and back as I cruised around my neighborhood.

So removed it again and got the connector on tightly, and now the Speedo is working and the Odo is not (again). So removed it AGAIN and checked the gears and they are OK but may be dragging on a high spot where wires soldered through the board have their ends stick up. I checked all the clearances and reinstalled, and the Speedo is working but the Odo not. So Pulled again and looked again, and gears still OK but the Odo is not working.

What is the Next item to check on the Odo? I'd like to get this wound up this weekend as I have spent enough time on this bug, and am looking for another project. Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Al Brown Birmingham, AL USA

Reply to
Alfred Brown

There are acually two gears:

gear you replaced runs the speedo, the "pod" turns the numbers. More help:

User

I'd check the solder connections on the board on the cluster where the connectors plug in, I haven't had problems with them before but you seem to be having a lot of random issues with connections so it's worth looking into. Look carefully for hairline cracks in the board too.

Reply to
James Sweet