Fuel tank removal

OK this is the problem "fuel sending unit not working properly, I can fill up the tank and it will show full, then when the fuel level is about 3/4 it start to go down to empty, even do I know I have between

1/2 to 3/4 fuel in the tank, and it will stay on empty with the low fuel warning lite on, untill i put about 5 gallons in then it goes back to full. I am going to change the fuel sending unit. I was going to change the sending unit that I can get it at the dealer for $75, but decided to chanche the whole unit, "9 year old caravan with the same pump, you never know when it will give out". I know I have to drop the tank to replace the unit, my question is any surprices that I should be aware beside fuel safety isues?. I have the dealers service manual that I will be using but like always they don't tell you everything.

jrvwbuggin

Ps is a 94 dogde Caravan with a 3.3

Reply to
jrvwbuggin

broken bolts/studs are the most impotrant part you need to pay attention. I have two studs on my 89 car and i broke both of them. Later i drill hole and put them there. use wd 40, and take them off at once.

good luck. suck the gas before lifting the tank. it will be much confortalbe.

If you have a simar design to 89 car, you donot neet to drop it all the wya down. jst a little bit space to get accest to the pump will be enough.

Reply to
ulas cosar coskun

There's a vent tube that goes from the top of the tank to up near the top of the filler tube. On my '88 this vent tube is plastic semi rigid and broke when I dropped the tank. No one carried the part, not even the dealer. So I had to improvise with coolant elbow and hose. So be careful when dropping the tank. Go slow.

Also, anytime you remove the fuel pump or sending unit, clean the top of the tank. There's lots of accumulated dust and it will drop into the tank (can cause the pump to fail). Use a vacuum or compressed air to remove dirt and debris before opening it up.

Reply to
David J. Allen

Ok, I will like to thank everyone that help with some information. I finally got the part yesterday, and dropped the tank, My original plans where to replace just the sending unit, because the Parts store wanted $280.00 for the complete pump/sending unit, the dealer $350.00. I could buy the sending unit for $70.00, but after 9 years of usage on the existing pump I opted to replace the complete unit, (Would hate to drop the tank again in a year or so, for a new pump). I checked the AAFES web site and found the complete unit for $188.00, no tax, since is for military. According to the book I was to drain the tank completely, remove all 4 screws at the filler point disconnect all hoses, and electrical connectors, the straps, and drop the tank. Insted I only removed the screws, the straps, and the electrical and fuel hoses, and lowered the tank just enough to get to the pump. I had plenty of room to work with it did not had to drain the fuel tank, of course the 3 ton jack worked very well. The removal took me about 1 hour, thank to the rusted strap bolts, (had to removed them with a regular ratchet little by little. But the installation was under 20 minutes, with my air compressor and air ratchet set. The best thing I ever invested my money on. Every is working like new.

Jose

Reply to
jrvwbuggin