Headlight turns off on Caliber when signalling?

Has anyone heard of this "feature"?

We just picked up a Caliber and when you turn on the turn signal, the headlight on that side goes out until the turn signal goes off. The salesman says this is a feature to draw attention to the vehicle turning. To me it decreases the lighting to the place you are going to.

Any comments?

Thanks, Colin

Reply to
TheZete

This appeared in Canada's news. It's design to operate that way.

Reply to
CK Cheong

Its used on cars with those dumb "daytime running lights." The glare from the dumb DRL renders the turn-signal invisible, especially when the turn signal is located too close to the headlamp as it is on most modern cars, unfortunately. Funciton has taken a backseat to "looking kewl" when it comes to automotive lighting for many years now. I don't think it should happen when the HEADLAMPS are on, though.

Reply to
Steve

UGH! A DUMB idea. Great for hiding the pedestrians in the crosswalk eh! I'd force them to change that. Thanks for the tip!

I also feel the yellow light always lit on the rear of some European cars is dumb.

Although I like the Caliber's function I (and wife) have decided we don't like it's styling. I've seen it's cousin the Compass in pictures, it seems to look a bit more normal, but it has that cheap looking Jeep grill.

Reply to
Just Facts