How has car design evolved?

How could you say that car design has evolved since the making of the Ford T model? what tendencies had existed each decade?

I mean in general...what was the tendencie in the 90's, in the 80's,

70's, etc....

I dont know if it could be classified, thanks in advance.

Reply to
Alan Estrada

'10s and '20s: Electric self-starter, pneumatic tires

'30s: First protomodern suspensions, appearance of modern closed body styles (e.g. sedan), improved electrical systems, hydraulic brakes

'40s: First modern lighting systems, safety glass. This was only a half-decade of car production due to the war.

'50s: Body design as art, first modern engine, suspension, tire, wheel, brake, steering, transmission and electrical systems. First widespread installation of air conditioning.

'60s: Enormous improvements in efficiency and reliability of virtually every mechanical system. First safety and emissions regulations. First radial tires. First widespread use of disc brakes. First halogen headlamps. First widespread use of alternators instead of generators.

'70s: Heavy emphasis on safety and emissions, to the near exclusion of much else. First widespread production use of modern fuel injection systems.

'80s: First widespread computerized engine control. Transition to front-wheel drive. General downsizing.

'90s: Additional (non-engine) functions computerized. First widespread use of airbags.

'00: First widespread use of hybrid power sources.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Books and books have been written about this.

Dan's list of technology introductions just scratches the surface. Other topics include:

1) time-line of introductions of new vehicle types. change of attitude of auto-makers from "the customer will buy what we make" to "we'd better make every possible type of vehicle that the customer might want". increased recognition of how and where people live plays increasing role in vehicle concepts (suburbs vs inner city just one example). 2) changes in how the gov't interacts with the auto industry. Emergence of competition and hand-outs, tax incentives to build new plants here instead of there. Taxation of vehicles based on engine size/bore and auto/manual transmission (Europe mainly, also Canada). Erosion of public transportation by the automakers themselves to bolster private auto ownership (mainly in north america). Taxation of gasoline (petrol) becomes entrenched by gov't (although no real reason to treat gas so inequitably compared to other commodities). 3) changes in foreign political and military policy (mainly US) regarding world oil supplies and gov'ts in the middle east (goals to insure sufficient oil supply at stable if not acceptible price. volatility of supply is bad). emergence of EPA fleet milage targets means that the gov't plays increasing role in some aspects of vehicle performance by mandating increasing fuel efficiency in the name of reduced dependency on stability of oil supply. 4) changes in how car companies interact with their workers. Evolution of unions. Labor contracts play increasing role in how cars are built, how they change from year to year, where the parts come from and who makes them. Emergence of contracting out and tier'd suppliers means some parts (interior panels, dashboard guages) are used in many car models.

I could go on.

The tendency was always to do whatever it takes to make money/sell cars.

Reply to
MoPar Man

"First widespread installation of air conditioning."

Lucky Americans! (Certainly not widespread in Europe in the 50s -- we were only justing working our way round to widespread use of motorcars...

"'60s: Enormous improvements in efficiency and reliability of virtually every mechanical system."

In the US thanks to Vance Packard and Ralph Nader?

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

Nooo...thanks to talented engineers at most every auto and component manufacturer.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Far too long to list everything, but I'd say computerization and safety crush zones are probably the most significant fundamental changes. To that I'd have to add vastly improved tires and brakes. Oh yeah there's better window defrosting, increased interior safety (padding, air bags etc). Air drag has also been drastically decreased. The list could go on and on.

Reply to
Dave Gower

No, idiot is too far UP on the list and too good a term to be used for Nader.

Reply to
RPhillips47

For my info: what was the Nader/Corvair fiasco?

Thanks. DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

Read "Unsafe at Any Speed" by Ralph Nader. This was an expository on the problems in the Corvair.

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Just to set the record straight on this. Basically, the "Unsafe at Any Speed" was a device intended to help advance Ralph Nader's political aspirations, it was total baloney.

What happened was that Nader originally asserted that the 1960-1963 Corvair models would tip over. He based this claim on alleged inside GM test data, and on a film that showed a Corvair being towed at 50Mph behind another car, and when the tow line was dropped the car tipped over. Nader claimed later not to have a copy of this film, although many Corvair owners concerned with the dispute have said that it does exist, and they have seen it. I have read allegations that the test vehicle was doctored for this film, which wouldn't be surprising.

GM understandably was furious about this, and committed a tactical blunder, they investigated Nader hoping to dig up dirt on him and run a smear campaign. In hindsight this was a grave mistake, because it was this action, plus GM's testimony about it in a subsequent Congressional hearing in 1966, which really put "Unsafe" on the map. If GM had simply ignored Nader, the thing would have blown over.

Nader then proceeded to use the publicity from this to foster the impression that there must really have been substance to his allegations, otherwise GM wouldn't have attempted to investigate him. Remember too that all this was happening during a time of tremendous public distrust of both government and of Big Business. Nader then launched a campaign demanding GM recall ALL Corvairs ever produced as well as pressuring the Department of Justice to try to prosecute GM for lying during the 1966 Congressional investigation. (this later was rejected by Justice)

The publicity over this basically destroyed Corvair's sales and in 1969 GM stopped producing them. Nader of course used this as yet more vindication of his original bogus book. Ultimately, NHTSA investigated the Corvair and concluded the charges were baseless.

The entire Corvair thing was a first class smear campaign that really showed Nader's talent for getting people signed on to these kinds of witchhunts. A number of US senators were more than happy to have this start up as they used it as an excuse to justify to the public that they were "protecting the consumer" etc. All great publicity for everyone concerned, except for GM of course. This by the way is Ralph Nader's usual Modus Operandi, and was used in the 2000 Presidential campaign during the smear campaigns against Al Gore and George Bush.

Nader's career is really a beautiful textbook example of how to take someone like this down. It was the same thing with Senator McCarthy Newt Gringrich, and countless other politicians. In short, these types get popular through the use of dirty tricks, but eventually they out trick themselves. Nader today is completely discredited by the left, who were his strongest supporters, because his actions in 2000 put George Bush in office by siphoning off the vote that would have gone Democratic.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Thanks for the background. You reminded me of that book title (Unsafe...) but I don't think I ever read it, though I have three Vance Packard books somewhere, acquired in my youth. IIRC, one is on obsolescent motorcars.

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

You mention computerization, by which I believe you mean of the engine controls, etc. I don't believe anyone has mentioned CADD and simulation which eliminates a lot of physical modeling and testing, and allows much more design optimization (for weight savings, performance, fuel usage, and cost) and integration (for better or worse, but it nets out overall to a plus IMO).

Bill Putney

That would put him in the category of a useful idiot in that case (was to the Gore in that election what Perot was to Bush Sr. in '92)?

Bill Putney

Precisely.

Ted

Reply to