How to replace the rear rotor for my Town and country

Thank you all for the help. I manage to get one rotor (the trouble side) out. The stuck problem was caused by rusted inner hat area of the rotor and the parking pad. Before I replace this, I wonder what kind of clean up with the parking brake I can do. Also, the other side rotor is not bad, I wonder how "bad" it is just to replace one side. I already order two rotors, but if I cannot take out the other one, I am thinking of just replacing one side.

After find out the FSM and other books just says that you yank the thing out by hand, I decides to take the whole thing out (include bearing, etc) and see what else I can do, by unplug the large 4 nuts that hold the whole thing to the car (the big bottom shaft). It stucks and didn't come off after the 4 nuts are off. So I use a hammer and hit on the caliper adapter (not to bend it). I think it should not cause problem with the bearing since this thing attaches to the bearing case and big shaft. Is this a right assumption? The whole thing does not come out. So, I push and pull the 2 sides of the rotor, and I notice rust falls off. I rotate and tried again couple times, and it moves out.

This pull/push thing does not work on the other rotor. However, I don't want to bang on the caliper adapter, or tabbing on the rotor (like Ted suggested) on this side, because it's good, and I don't want to ruin it.

Reply to
st946tbf

A good news!

I was able to replace both rotors now. The way I took the 2nd rotor out is this:

I reason the rotor is stuck because of rusted inner side of the parking brake hub (the rotor's hat). So, I put on 1/2 to 2/3 of the parking brake, and drive back and forth very slowly. I also increase speed/brake if it seems to be ok for the car. Doing this for a while, and I can hear noise comes up alot (things are falling off). Then I take the tire off, carefully using brake cleaner to clean the thing, collect the waste liquid and dispose properly. Next, I use two hand to pull out the rotor as much as possible. Then keep 1 hand pulling, while another hand's palm tab on the rotor surface knocking it in. This should not cause any damage to the bearing (if anything damaged, it should be my palm first, I reason). Rotate the thing, and try this again. After awhile, the thing move further out, and alot of rust falls off. Then I take it off.

I hope this helps someone else. Please note that this may only work for my situation, and don't break or hurt your hand. Use it at your own risk, and consult expert before doing this.

Reply to
st946tbf