intermittent window nose 05 Convertable Sebring & $101.5 1-hour diagnostic fee

On my last visit in June I gave the service writer a copy of this:

When the passenger side door and rear windows are in a full up position there is a rattle, tapping or knocking that occurs when going over rough/bumpy road surfaces. This rattle will disappear if either the front or rear passenger side window are lowered any amount, or if pressure is applied to the top rear of the passenger door window when both are in the full up position.

It was returned with a note to the effect: "problem not found, functions normally"

The dealer is efficient in that when I made my appointment for this friday the service writer must have reviewed my file and the confirm email states:

"Other Diagnosis/Repair - HEARING THE SAME NOISE THAT HE REPORTED BEFORE - $101.5 (1-hour diagnostic fee only)"

I plan to hand the service writer the following, unless I get a better suggestion here, Thanks for any responses

noise is intermittent and is still present at times. When it is present , sometimes noise will disappear when raising rear window while pressing outward on rear window. if fee is $101.5 I will want it noted on service record request , but will not want it diagnosed at this time

Reply to
Mr.X

Rattles may only be covered under warranty for first year of ownership but if reported during that year and not fixed you shouldn't have to pay a diagnostic fee in my opinion.

Reply to
Art

Reply to
Shep

Reply to
Ugly

Thanks all for the responses, I do understand convertible 'Body Flex' is a significant part of this noise, yet since the noise is intermittent and annoying only on one side there is something out of line on that side. The Sebring may not be the ultimate luxury top of the line convertible where owners would not put up with a intermittent noise of this sort, yet it's not a bottom line piece of junk where noises like this are to be accepted as normal.

Reply to
Mr.X

Maybe, maybe not. Ask all the people who have posted here about the sound of water swishing in their fenders. Kind of junky to me.

Reply to
Art

when it's in it's tapping/rattle mode the bump could be the typical cement expansion joint in the pavement to produce the tapping. noise over a RR track I'll accept.

could be a factor, as the noise happened during warmer weather

yep I'm not driving while hanging onto the roof

more of a tapping between the glass frame members or possible the top of the glass and the roof member or something in the roof member when both windows are up

looks good and I took a close look

nope

thought about that but didn't do it yet

will do it if the tapping returns

this is a new off the lot car now with 7k miles

actually roads considered good with minor defects will create the tapping when it's in it's tapping mode

that's a built in feature of the Sebring , it will lower the windows about 2 inches when raising the top

Thanks

Reply to
Mr.X