Intrepid cold weather operation

I've noticed a squeak-squeak-squeak (squeak frequency is proportional to wheel speed) sound when starting out in very cold weather (0 F and below). Fortunately or unfortunately, it goes away soon, so I can't tell where it is coming from. Has anyone else noticed this?

(Maybe it's that $@# shield near the front brake disks again, although I can't think of why (dry) cold would aggravate it.)

Reply to
Greg Houston

When the difference between that shield contacting and not contacting the rotor may be only 0.00002", yes, temperature could make the difference. Another possibility is the front pads being worn to where the annunciators (wear indicators) are just starting to do their job and tell you that it's time to replace your pads. If it gets more consistent as time goes on, that is the more likely cause for the noise.

Either could be the cause.

Bill Putney

My 99 Intrepid does the same the last couple of mornings at -40 C. My wifes

94 Tempo does the same only more noticeable. I think it is just the cold front springs. Tends to be more audible when the front of the car dips.
Reply to
MD

I get a different squeak in cold weather - the steering wheel squeaks like crazy when cold(when turned)- anyone else ever have this happen in a first generation Intrepid?

James Linn

Reply to
James Linn

Reply to
Mike Behnke

Well, it's a little more than that now :), but I see your point.

I checked the pads recently and they're still in great shape, fortunately. Thanks.

Reply to
Greg Houston

Yeesh, -40 C, F. Thank goodness for engine heaters!

Reply to
Greg Houston

How much is a little more? I did not realize that you had already looked at the shield. If it's nowhere near touching, then that certainly wouldn't be the problem.

Only thing else I can think of is pad rubbing rotor, maybe a piece of grit in there, or caliper slides loose, or something related to bearing. But nothing really obvious jumps out. Hope you figure it out

- since it is only doing it when cold, it's probably more an anoyance to you than a serious problem.

Bill Putney

Except Greg's problem is related to wheel speed. 8^)

Bill Putney

OOOPS! Missed that part Bill!

Reply to
MD

Put the Wife's 97 down for that one. Very very annoying when doing a 99 point turn into a tight space. Just makes you want to pack it with silicon grease.

I haven't heard the wheel (Tire or Steer> > I've noticed a squeak-squeak-squeak (squeak frequency is

Reply to
Big Boy ES

Feel free to put all of your cold weather LH model complaints in this thread :-) Helps us all to learn.

Reply to
Greg Houston