Its that time again ...

... to do a transmission fluid and filter change in my cars. Now, I know this has probably been hashed to death, but I have 1 question. Both my vehicles have the 4 speed auto in them. The first is a 92 Dodge Dynasty and the second is a 99 Caravan. In the previous changes I have done, I have always used ATF+3. Now all I find is ATF+4. My question is this: When I do a pan-drop change for these 2 cars, is it OK to use ATF+4 to refill them?

Sorry if this is a repetitious question, but I just need to know for sure.

Reply to
Bret

ATF+4 is synthetic and recommended to replace ATF+3. Both vehicles can use either ATF.

Per Chrysler's TSB on ATF usage I found this note:

NOTE :ATF+4(R) IS COMPATIBLE WITH ATF+3 AND CAN BE USED TO TOP OFF VEHICLES THAT CURRENTLY HAVE ATF+2 OR ATF+3.

So yes, the two fluids can be mixed. It would be far better if you had a flush done to change all the fluid to ATF+4 as well as a pan drop but it's not required to do so. Pan drops normally only change 1/2 or less of the total fluid depending on vehicle.

Reply to
Miles

Thank you for the information.

Reply to
Bret

My dealer told me its fine to run it in my 96 trans which uses +3.

But they said once you go to using +4 don't put +3 in it anymore..

Reply to
rob

The TSB:

John Kunkel

Thanks for the TSB, but I do not see the Dodge Stealth on this list.

Does anyone know if I can use ATF+4 in a 1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT (Same as the Stealth). The Stealth/3000GT uses a Chrysler designed automatic transmission and I have previously used Molar ATF+3 when I drained (yes, it actually has two drain plugs, one for the drive axle and the other in the trans pan) and dropped the pan.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

ATF+4 can be used on any car that is specified for ATF+3. The opposite is not true.

Reply to
Miles