Jeep VS others

I'm on a quest to find other like minded people who race their Jeeps.

I have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9l with some mods, (intake, PCM, headers) but no major power adders like NOS or a supercharger.

The Jeep with the 360 and awd makes for a great vehicle in an 1/8 mile race.

After quite a bit of Drag strip experience here are some interesting results

Jeep VS Chevy Silverado SS Jeep Wins Jeep VS Dodge RAM 1500 Hemi Jeep Wins Jeep VS Ford F150 Harley Davidson Jeep Wins Jeep VS Ford Mustang GT 4.6 Jeep Wins (if mustang is mostly stock) Jeep VS Chevy Camaro LS1 LS1 always wins (unless it is a bad driver) Jeep VS Nissan 350z Jeep Wins Jeep VS Corvette Corvette wins Jeep VS BMW Z3 2.8 Jeep Wins Jeep VS WRX WRX Wins Jeep VS Acura RSX Jeep Wins Jeep VS Toyota Celica Jeep Wins Jeep VS Ford Lightning Lightning Wins Jeep VS Pontiac GTP Jeep Wins

So that is just a quick list of actual Jeep VS results from my experience at the track. I have some Jeep VS experiences on the street but street racings aren't as quantifiable as Jeep VS races on a drag strip.

I run a 9.2 in the 1/8 with a 60ft time around 2.01. 0-60 is under 6 seconds. Does anyone else have any good Jeep VS experiences or know of a good place to discuss Jeep VS experiences?

Reply to
Elliot Westcott

The driver of that 350z sucks ass. Kinda surprised you couldn't beat a stock WRX but took the Celica. I've seen quite a few Celica/WRX races and never seen the WRX win (unless it's the STi)? Altho one of the fastest cars in my city is a souped up '01 Imprezza ...insanely fast.

Still ...those are some impressive wins. How do you fare in the 1/4 mile tho?

Reply to
griffin

I'd take all of the listed vehicles against my 4.0l Wrangler. I guarantee I would win the 1/8 mile everytime.

I get to choose where that 1/8 mile is, though....

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

In all of my Jeep races, simply getting to the other end of the track was the goal. By that measure, there isn't a LS1 out there that can beat me. I would gladly put my pink slip up against the fool with the LS, but I m not sure I would want his LS at the end. I suppose I could set the course where he gets toasted right off the line, then his LS would be salvagable later.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The funniest incident I've ever had racing was when I went up against a 318 Duster. I was given a 6-8 second headstart on a 1 mile strip in my '88 YJ before he even hit the gas pedal. Needless to say I got a good view of his taillights by the end of the race. Man are those things quick.

Reply to
griffin

Sure, but can he CRWL?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I raced a big assed puddle one time in my 4cyl TJ.....

the puddle won....

Reply to
Ed Roper

Reply to
Will Honea

For 1/8 mile drags, that AWD is definitely a good thing. Most of the results are what I might expect, but the 350z should beat the Jeep--probably lit up the tires too much, and I suspect the WRX guy bogged and didn't get the turbo spooled up very well. In all, you have an interesting list of runs.

Reply to
KokomoKid

In an answer to the 1/4 run. I run a decent 14.4. A lot of the Jeep vs experiences would be different at a longer track.

If anyone wants to have my Jeep VS their car on a road course. I would agree to it as long as they would then agree to an offroad course and maybe a towing segment.

The list of vehicles that could beat a jeep in all those categorys is very small. Jeep VS Porsche Cayenne Turbo (probably, but $90,000?) Jeep VS ML55 AMG (maybe) Jeep VS BMW 4.8is (maybe)

Reply to
Elliot Westcott

What? A fast Jeep? Are Jeeps really that fast? This sounds like BS. BS alert! BS alert! Maybe a Jeep vs another suv but sports cars? Give me a break.

Reply to
Gary Powers

I suppose you've never taken on a V8-powered Grand Cherokee in a local stoplight Grand Prix? Let me assure you that I've found through hard experience they can hold their own in 1/8 mile races, especially a 5.9L version.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Really? I guess hadn't thought much about them. Is that 5.9 similar to the Dakota

5.9 R/T engine?
Reply to
Gary Powers

Yep, they're very similar. More than enough to induce fairly rapid Jeep accel. I believe the 0 to 60 times were in the low seven seconds range.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

On the road, I'd like to see you race a stock BMW M3 or M5. Those M5's are like lightning. What about an Escalade? No idea how fast they are stock, but they sure have alot of power. Then again ...that's a lot of vehicle to get moving.

Reply to
griffin

Not only, can it CRWL in, can it CRWL out again?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

same engine. 5.9 liters

360 cubic inches

bob z.

Reply to
bob zee

I have had a couple of street runs against a new BMW M3, a friend has one. All The Jeep was able to do vs a M3 is jump in front until about

30mph and then the M3 starts to pass and then just pull away. It is in a different league. The M5 is very similar, if not faster.

As far as an Escalade. I'm putting out more torque than the Caddy and weigh about 2000 lbs less. So Jeep beats the Escalade in any flavor.

griff> On the road, I'd like to see you race a stock BMW M3 or M5. Those M5's are

interesting

Reply to
mighty360

Right! To CRWL out again is the real measure of a 4x4. This is my second Jeep. And unfortunately, at times, I've turned into more of a street Jeep. I've removed the underbody armor for a weight reduction and don't take my sleeper speedy Jeep offroad too much any more.

I miss those days. Maybe I just need to get a CJ and spend some quality time doing the other thing Jeeps are good at.

Reply to
mighty360

Yup, I got absolutely killed by a modified M3. I had about an 1/8 mile headstart around a hairpin turn and lost so bad I still can't believe it. The most amazing aspect of that automobile is despite the fact the road was terrible, at like 80mph he had no problem staying completely on the inside lane. Simply an amazing automobile and definitely my dream car. And ya ...the M5 has alot more balls. Saw the first one in my city today, actually. Wow!

Reply to
griffin