Nitrogen tire filling arrives in Calgary (CostCo)

Nitrogen tire filling arrives in Calgary
CFCN.ca
POSTED AT 5:08 PM Wednesday, September 29
Got a flat? You may want to try filling your tire with nitrogen. A
Calgary tire retailer is using the gas instead of regular air. The difference is subtle.
Nitrogen is an inert, non-flammable gas. It was developed for racing and military applications. Now Costco Wholesale is bringing the gas to its retail tire customers.
Experts say that nitrogen molecules are four times larger than oxygen. Retailers say tires with nitrogen should stay inflated four times longer, maintain a consistent tire pressure and increase its life span.
Nitrogen tire filling is already widely used in Europe. Costco doesn't charge any extra for the gas, which is included in the price of the tire and installation.
See also:
http://www.alltiresupply.com/archives/newproducts/IR-Nitro-Tire-Sys.html http://www.irco.com/pressroom/newsatir/is/58711_Print.html
Nitrogen -- a dry, inert gas used by racing professionals and the U.S. military to inflate racecar tires and military vehicles, respectively -- leaks through a tire's rubber walls three times more slowly than oxygen. As a result, tires filled with high-quality nitrogen delivered by IR's system stay inflated longer, which allows them to grip the road better and provide greater control in all weather conditions.
"It's an obvious safety issue," said Ray Evernham, a three-time NASCAR Nextel Cup champion crew chief, team owner of Evernham Motorsports and an IR spokesperson. "Simply put, tires filled with nitrogen provide more stable pressure. That's why IR's Nitrogen Tire Filling System represents the best solution for drivers and tire-repair centers."
http://www.tirebusiness.com/subscriber/opinion2.phtml?cat=3&id 82990463 http://www.tirebusiness.com/subscriber/opinion2.phtml?cat=3&id 74521989
Interesting. It's not such a big deal since it's about 79% of the atmosphere,... but I still have never heard of it for tyre filling in Europe...
I wonder how much it would cost. Compressed air is usually free or a trivial price.
DAS
MoPar Man wrote:

In a racing situation, the bigger motivation for using nitrogen is the low moisture => temperature stability (vs. the bleedout), and that's what's probably the fact behind Everham's statement. For the consumer it's both mechansisms (low moisture/temperature stability *and* bleedout over a long period of time) that come into play.
I guess the longer you leave normal air in a tire, the higher the concentration of nitrogen, since the smaller molecules will bleed out and leave only nitrogen. 8^)
Bill Putney wrote:

I wonder if nitrogen-filled tires play any role in preventing leaks on aluminum rims or reducing rust and pit formation on aluminum rims.

hmmm. I wonder what the "nitrogen experts" would say about that?
MoPar Man wrote:

Some on the 300M ezBoard have had some bead leak/corrosion problem with some of the Razorstar wheels that came from the factory. There have been some discussions there about using nitrogen as a preventaive for just that problem. Also, a guy in San Diego reported on the 300M ezBoard that a Costco in SD put nitrogen in his tires: http://p209.ezboard.com/f300menthusiastsclubfrm6.showMessage?topicID 6.topic

8^)
My 1972 Land Rover has been sitting (and lounging around) in my brother's farm yard since 1987 and the tires have not deflated. They were and still are filled with air.
Bill Putney wrote:

Marketing baloney at it's best. Thanks Bill for your sunbtle commetary ;-)

farm
filled
The sad part is that there will be idiots that go to Costco for tires just because of this, which is why Costco is probably doing it.
Ted
Our local Costco uses Nitrogen, but does not really make much to do about it. As for pricing, they are almost always within a couple pennies of the price for the exact same tire at the Sam's Club down the road.
Bob

brother's
;-)

The average intelligence of people in your area is probably higher. Costco tailors it's advertising regionally.

Whenever I've gone into Costco and looked at tire prices (P185 75r14s) they have always had the most expensive prices in town. Of course, I'm not looking for name-brands since the vehicle that uses those tires I drive and it doesen't care what's on the wheel. I'm looking for the cheapest tires available. I think the last time I asked the cheapest tire in the place was $60.
Now, when the tires on the van finally wear out that will be a different story - since the tires on it now that the previous owner installed are anything but low-noise, and a van amplifies everything from the tires. And the rims on it are cast aluminum. I'm resigned to having to be screwed up the ass for tire prices on that vehicle.
Ted
I fill mine with helium. It has a tendency to lift the vehicle a hair, thus reducing the weight (pull of gravity) and greatly increases the mpg.
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, TOM KAN PA wrote:

That's fine in the summer, but in the winter you definitely want to fill your tires with Freon. Being heavier than air, it helps your tires stick to slippery roads.

Actually, farmers fill their tractor tires part of the way with salt water to help keep the tractors from rolling over. Perhaps this should be required by the Feds in all SUV's to solve their roll over problem. Cheaper than those computer stability systems for sure.
Richard.

required
Mercury would be even better for handling. Plus, it conducts electricity should your car be struck by lightning.
Seriously though, liquid-filled tires are only suitable for very slow-moving equipment like farm tractors. They would never balance at speed.

Wrong. I have developed a complex computer program that will predict the dynamic balance requirements of brine filled tires on the run, so to speak. Cheap Chrysler has so far refused to fit this $3,800.00 system on any of its cars or SUV's. Where is Ralph Nader when you need him?
Richard.

Completely with calcium chloride for traction !