Not honoring Recall notice

My car, which is a 1998 Dodge Neon broke down and I was informed by my mechanic that the problem would be covered by the dealer because it was a recall. The radiator fan relay is not turning on the radiator cooling fans. I called the Dodge dealer where I bought the car and they said that the car was manufactured one month after the recall time. It's the same make and same year for the recall but a different month. Am I wasting my time trying to get help with this ? I have the very same problem as the recall. Who will I contact now ?

Reply to
JustMe

Double check at the Chrysler 800 # in your car manual.

Reply to
Art

It is much easier to go on the Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep website and find out ALL of the recall info for YOUR specific vehicle.

Reply to
RPhillips47

Thanks for your responses. I have already called them and gave them the number. They told me that this car was manufactured one month after the date of the vehicles that they recalled. But my mechanic said that this was the same problem as what was recalled. I was wondering if there was anything else I could do to get them to honor this car under the recall notice? It is a very expensive part plus labour to fix it.

Thanks again JustMe

Reply to
JustMe

Nope.

Reply to
Art

I suppose you could write to the government agency which orders recalls. If they got enuf complaints outside the official date they might eventually order a wider recall and you would get reimbursed for the repair eventually.

Reply to
Art

Contact the regional service manager.

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

You have called them and that is what they told you. Have you gone to the "For Owners" link on the website, as I suggested, to verify for yourself? When I did this for my '96 T&C LXi the response came back "No Incomplete Recalls or Customer Satisfaction Notifications Exist" which is true as they have all been performed. For my '93 GC Laredo the response was "Floor Shifter Secondary Detent System" - Incomplete. This was performed at a dealer I no longer do business with but they did not enter it into the system. For my '04 Pacifica AWD the response is "Reprogram PCM" and "PCM ElectricalConnector Seals" - both Incomplete but are being done now as the vehicle is in for a couple of warranty items and to have the right front fender repainted as someone "keyed" it at the Mall!!! :-(

Reply to
RPhillips47

Any chance that the part was previously replaced with the old version of the part. If you could convince Chrysler that that might have happened they should install the new version. Are the version marked somehow?

Reply to
Art

I don't think so, the problem isn't a safety issue. This recall isn't something that was ordered because people were dying on the highways, it is a recall that was ordered because Chrysler found some supplier was cutting corners and manufacturing substandard parts, which are now all coming back to the factory.

The thing is though that this part is an item that should be available in the wrecking yards, and for that matter it is a part that most likely could be substituted with an off-the-shelf generic relay, such as the kind of relays sold for operating high power headlamps. It might look a little funny but if his mechanic is competent he should be able to make a substitution.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

You say you car broke down because of the recall not being done. What do you mean by 'broke down'? Did it over heat? Didn't you see that the engine was overheating? WHY did you drive it while the car was HOT. I can understand that you are frustrated about the recall, but you need to realize that YOU need to be smart about your car also. Good luck with your problem. Even if they fix/replace the fan, they really don't have to do anything else, per the recall.

Reply to
Richard Benner Jr

Here's an update on what happened to my car that did overheat while driving because the fan would not work. I had to pull over and call a tow truck. I called the dealer after I found out that it was a recall issue. They informed me that my car was manufactured a month after tha recall so I do not qualify for this. I called Crysler head office to request " goodwill" coverage and denied again. So I then called the dealer again and asked for all the information sent by fax including the price quote to fix it. They asked why I would want so much information and I told them that it's a paper trail for small claims court. In the meantime , I contacted Transport Canada and they had very little information of the specifics of this recall. I received the price quote from the dealer and it was much lower than the original quote so I called and they said because it was a recall that they would give me a good deal. But they would not sell me the part for that low price - i'd have to get it installed there as well. I agreed because this was sooooo much cheaper. I still have a paper trail in case I want to go to court. I'm very pleased with the dealer and how they handled it. My Neon and I have cooled down quite a bit !!!!!!!

Reply to
JustMe

Great! And the lesson to be learned here is don't take no for an answer the first time!! ;-)

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt