Oil...

Not sure if this has been discussed before, but - is there a real difference between the high mileage oil and filters vs the regular oil and filters? Just wondering if the extra cost is justified.

TIA,

-TRogers

Reply to
Tom Rogers

Dunno.

My personal conclusion on oil was that when I owned a turbocharged car, using oil with a higher temperature rating (ie Mobile 1 or Castrol Syntec) seemed worth it, since the turbo bearing hits really, really high temperatures right after shutdown. Everything I own now is normally aspirated, so an oil at current API standards seems sufficient (though my old car with conventional lifters needs additives since the SM standard has reduced phosphates and zinc).

On filters, it's really clear from all the oil filter dissection sites that Wix is much better constructed than anybody else, and is in a whole 'nother league from the ubiquitous Fram. Is Fram "good enough"? I don't have any way of knowing. But the difference in price between them is small enough that when I'm replacing the filter every few thousand miles, Wix seems a reasonable investment.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

if you go to the oil makers websites you can find the spec sheets on the different oils, from what I've seen there is no difference.

Reply to
Max Power

Spec. sheets or MSDS sheets. There's a big difference.

Max Power wrote:

Reply to
Bill Putney

why would you check the MSDS? I'm looking for the oil's specs not how many fish its going to kill

here's some examples. I assume the only difference in a high mileage should be zinc right?

castrol high mileage dosnt bother to report it

looking at the other ones castrol dosnt report much here's standard valvoline
Max Life
looks pretty similar to me but check it out and draw your own conclusions. not sure what all the crap stands for? I dont but this guy does

Max Power

I wouldn't. I was expecting to find only the MSDS sheets due to the proprietary nature of anything meaningful that would distinguish their product from a competitor's.

That is my point.

Reply to
Bill Putney

philthy

If it really were intended for older cars with slider lifters, then zinc would be key. But what those "high mileage" oils are really aimed at are

5-year-old econo-beaters that leak oil like sieves, so they have seal-swelling additives. You can look at the API ringlet to see if its a low-zinc oil. IF its anything higher than SJ rated (SL, SM, etc.) then its a low-zinc oil. Diesel engine oils rated higher than CI (CJ, for example) are also reduced zinc compared to older diesel engine oils, but still higher in anti-scuff additives than current gasoline engine oils.
Reply to
Steve