Priceless!

Absolutely.

My customers expect me to look after their best interests, adding a half hour and two $2 O-rings to the bill is hardly "ripping someone off." Not doing so on the other hand, is common garden variety incompetence.

At 30K, wouldn't it still be under warranty Glenn, and doesn't this imply that they [the customer] have absolutely no trust in the dealerships methods?

I'd much rather explain the difference in price than explain why the vehicle has the same failure after a short period of time, and since I have yet to see one where the O-rings in question aren't shriveled and cracked, a little show and tell with the customer makes it all clear to them (unlike you).

Reply to
aarcuda69062

AARCuda: Thanks for this post. Every now and then it's nice to see reminders like this of why maxpower is in my killfile.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Okay, thanks for the info. I just got through doing both of mine, and I did not take the cam bolts/pulleys/cover off. So I'm hoping for the best!

Reply to
Joe

No at 30k most 2001 vehicles are not even under warranty, Let me explain it to Mutt and Jeff. watch this carefully now it may get tricky for Daniel and yourself.. Here goes......3/36 whichever comes first.......Did you understand it? let me do it one more time, I dont think Daniel understood.

3/36 If you still dont get it, give me a call and I will explain it again.

Unnecessary repairs at low mileage and it is a cost of more then .5 to your customers

Reply to
maxpower

So, what you're saying is that at 30K miles and (barely) 4 years old, your dealerships service department wouldn't go to bat for your customer. Is this supposed to gain points for yourself and/or 5 star service?

3/36 might be the maximum extent of your advanced intellect, but this is not a good place to demonstrate it. i.e., as I've said before, you're a simple minded twit and you only know about that which exists in your insulated little world of warranty work and things that fail in 3 years and 36,000 miles. i.e., you've managed quite nicely to rise to your level of incompetence, which is exactly where you'll stay for the rest of your life.

Really? How would you know what I charge to remove a few more bolts? You're really projecting here Glenn ol' boy, not to mention demonstrating your total lack of knowledge of the engine in question and the way that the cooling system is KNOWN to fail.

This is all a red herring on your part. Bottom line, your buddy TNKEV blew smoke up that customers ass by claiming that there was no need to remove the cam sprockets on that 3.5 to do the repair when in fact, it -was- necessary and apparently the NAPA Car Care center he went to first DID know more about how to do the job then either YOU or TNKEV.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Lets not change the subject, You said you replace the o rings everytime you do a timing belt.and that they are still under warranty at 30K.. My answer to your low life was WRONG!!

Hey Have a great day!!

Reply to
maxpower

Because you nit, by the time that the timing belt needs to be replaced the vehicle is well out of warranty and thus no longer D-C's concern.

Didn't you ever wonder why your supposed to lift the hood of any vehicle you purchase before you buy it? Prospective vehicle owners have been doing that for the last century. You lift it so that you can see how crammed together everything is in the engine compartment. If it's a nice open compartment with lots of room it's probably going to cost less to repair then the compartments were everything is packed in like sardines.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

when did I belittle anyone?

with the info given(water pump is being changed)the advice given was not from a lack of experience. techs at my shop said "hell we can replace the o'rings too for less than that",I had planned on showing a value by telling the customer "we also replaced your water pump o'rings"

Reply to
TNKEV

I agree with both points made. This thread has gone on long enough and there is no new information here so should die.

I can't speak for the majority and can only share my own personal experience with a 1996 3.5L Vision. It had a leaking water pump at 25K miles and just over the 36 months. It was the result of a defective design from the factory. I understand there were a lot that failed in that same timeframe. I replaced it at that time with an upgraded Chrysler dealer part, but did not do the rear O-rings at that time. It began leaking from those O-rings within another 25K miles and less than 3 years so I had to re-do the job. It was at that time that I noticed the corrosion on the aluminum cover so used the RTV liberally.

As to the PH and maintenance of the coolant, I changed the original (regular old green stuff) antifreeze out at 2 years and subsequently every two years thereafter religiously and used Prestone and distilled water. The corrosion and pitting was there and I would imagine that others who have had this dismantled have seen the exact same thing. The new O-Rings coupled with the RTV have held up well now for about 3 years.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

let me just say this: the job is done,the car doesn't leak,my customer loves me,everybody is happy! can we all agree,a properly repaired vehicle and a happy customer is the goal. mission accomplished!

Reply to
TNKEV

You know the old saying...

... you can wish in one hand, and shit in the other.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

None of us have any idea what all was on that ticket for the price quoted, and I see nothing wrong with Barry keeping the customer informed about any odd circumstances he might encounter.

The O-rings have been re-designed and have a super-ceding part number, and whether or not the coolant pH is a factor, Chrysler has been known to use O-rings that begin to resemble dried earth worms caught in the sun to seal between the timing covers and blocks on the 3.3, the 3.8 the 3.5. Same results as the now famous GM intake gaskets, just in a different place on the engine.

Agreed. Doesn't change the fact that TNKEV went off half cocked.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I'll say this...

I'm not Barry, I don't know Barry, but should this situation ever arise again, I hope for the sake of this industry that you handle it differently.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I am finding that out Mr.Power,I don't know if you have Service writers or advisors where you work, but it is my job to speak to people every day,sometimes people just have a bad day and others ......well there are some who just don't play well with others.no big deal.

Reply to
TNKEV

Funny, as an asshole, I enjoy quite a bit of off group correspondence with long time participants in this group.

I suppose it might seem that way to someone who doesn't venture very far from two newsgroups, but that's your problem, not mine.

Should I abstain from posting just so you can send people on wild goose chases? Would you then achieve the glory that you seek?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Have you ever checked the pH of fresh prestone and distilled water? It is NOT out of the ordinary for it to be off by several points from ideal, right out of the can. Too high PH scales up the rad, and often takes out seals. Too low pH corrodes metals. I always had a couple bottles of buffer and a pHep around to test coolant with.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

No never checked the PH of fresh mix and don't know what ideal number would be although as I recall the scale went from 1 to 13 with 7 being neutral and lower numbers being acidic and higher being alkaline/basic. (Chemistry class was a lot of years ago so excuse me if I have it wrong .. it does not change the pertinent facts) BTW, I also never had any type of corrosion problem with any engine like I saw on the back side of that cover either though. I still think the use of the two dissimilar metals in this application is an invitation for the nasty oxidation and surface pitting I saw. Prestone bottle had the corrosion protection and safe for aluminum hyped all over it though ...

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I'm sure you will. That customer however, the one that lives 50 miles away, well, someday he's going to need service locally because your dealership is too far or because you're closed... ... after the screwing that Barry got, maybe he and the other shops in the area won't be so receptive to have him as a customer. Seen it plenty of times, yo-yo customers get shunned like the plague.

Yeah, half the facts, the other half is; you either didn't know or lied about the reason for the cam sprocket removal, and yes I'm sure you saved him money, but at what expense? I really expect that you're too young to understand.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

like I said before, he promised to never go so a side of the road garage again. if he breaks down and is in need of service and too far from here, dems the breaks.

just as I expected from you more assumptions.

I assume you are a grumpy old mechanic and you probably argue with everyone you have a conversation with, you probably also need to refill your meds.

Reply to
TNKEV

Your words don't mean squat. First it was; we'll fix it for half of the $870 that barry was charging, then it became "we saved him $200." The longer this goes on, the more comical it becomes. Yeah, "dems the breaks." Nice attitude. Any wonder that people don't trust dealerships?

Nope, no assumptions. You've left quite a few tracks to follow.

No, not really. Liars and incompetents, absolutely.

You should probably stick to Nintendo, child.

Reply to
aarcuda69062