Turbo PT Oil recommendations

I have a brand new PT Cruiser GT Turbo and am looking for recommendations on what oil to use for my first oil change? And second, and third ... :-)

All opinions are appreciated!

Reply to
MikeSo

Full synthetic only. Mobil 1 is considered as the best.

Reply to
Rick Blaine

Mike, That question would be better answered here:

Visit the site, research the Virgin and used oil analysis sections and read the general motor oil board. Your lubrication knowledge will increase and you will be able to make an educated informed decision on which lubricant to purchase. The problem with usenet is, although well-intentioned, many render advice without any qualifications or credentials in the subject matter, and unfortunately, the advice you receive can not always be trusted.

Reply to
Robert

You can't go wrong with Mobil 1, especially with a turbo. Be sure to use the viscosity and change intervals specified in your manual, and keep receipts of your oil changes. Also, with a turbo, keep the RPMs down in the final minutes before you shut off the engine.

Reply to
Greg

recommendations on

Reply to
tj55

Another myth to overcome. Synthetic oil will not void your warranty as long as it meets the proper API classification. Every synthetic I've ever seen meets the current requirements. Mobil 1 comes from the factory in an ever increasing number of models of cars, the Corvette and several, if not all, Porsches for example.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

And what are you basing this false information on? Synthetic oil will NOT void your warranty. Any oil that meets the API specifications provided by the manufacturer (which are conveniently in the owner's manual) will satisfy your requirements to keep the warranty under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Furthermore, the manual specifically states that Synthetic oil may be used. So exactly how would the warranty become 'dead' with Mobil 1?

Note that I said earlier, " Be sure to use the viscosity and change intervals specified in your manual, and keep receipts of your oil changes. "

Reply to
Greg

The dealership is some distance from my home, so visits for the sole purpose of an oil change are inconvenient ... besides, I can't do much else, but I sure can change the oil myself!! :-)

I love my GT! The turbo kicks in early and is a very strong performer. Gas mileage isn't great, but neither is the mileage numbers on the "standard" PT. Unless money is an issue, I can't imagine anyone selecting something less than the GT (no offense to the Touring and Limited Edition owners in the audience).

If I had the opportunity to do it over, I'd probably go with the new Dream Cruiser III, but I am quite happy with the one I have, and am enjoying modifying it with aftermarket parts to customize and personalize it.

Buy it ... buy it now!

Reply to
MikeSo

Thanks for the advice.

Reply to
MikeSo

Thanks for the response!

Reply to
MikeSo

That is absolutely idiotic advice. Mobil 1 is factory fill from a number of high performance/exotic manufacturers. It exceeds the "factory recommended" oil quality. Just keep your receipts. Using synthetic oil will have no affect on your warranty.

Cheers,

tj55 wrote:

Reply to
Chris Mauritz

If you can get past the clown car looks of the car, the GT engine is definitely the way to go. Nice amount of power from a relatively small powerplant. Stay off the boost and you'll get decent mileage.

Cheers,

Chris Mauritz