Removing 94 voyager Alternator

I am trying to remove my alternator from a 94 Voyager with a 3.3 engine. I have it detached from the engine but I cannot get it out from the bottom and back of the engine. It just will not squeeze through the space to the right of the exhaust pipe between the body and the crossover support. Before I start cutting the exhaust studs I thought I would pose this question to the group for any hints. Anybody out there talken one of these out yet? Thanks Jon Flynn

Reply to
Jetson

Jetson

Why not ask the service manager or even the parts guy? If you call when it's not too busy and call a shop that is not in the center of a big city, I find they will usually answer this type of question quite nicely. I have the shop manual but, uh oh, it's for your year. Duh me. Let me look it up...

Pages 8B-9 and 8B-10:

(1) Disconnect battery negative cable. (2) Remove generator drive belt, (3) Loosen, but do not remove the nut on the support bracket at exhaust manifold. (4) Remove the generator tensioner power steering bracket bolt. (5) Remove the tensioner stud nut and the tensioner. (6) Remove the generator mounting bolts. (7) Remove and position the power steering reservoir from the generator mounting bracket. Do not remove the hoses from the reservoir. (8) Remove the three generator support bracket bolts. (9) Remove intake plenum-to-generator mounting bracket bolt. (10) Remove generator support bracket. (11) Position generator and remove generator wiring. (12) Remove generator.

Would this have helped you, these instructions from the Service Manual?

Reply to
treeline12345

Reply to
Jetson

Reply to
Len G

Reply to
Jetson

This is all very interesting. I have a 94 GC with 3.3 engine.

I was looking under the hood and I noticed that my alternator is on the top of the engine at the back - right next to the power steering pump.

In my configuration, I do not imagine it would be difficult to remove the alternator at all.

M>I am trying to remove my alternator from a 94 Voyager with a 3.3 engine. I

Reply to
NewMan

I thought I read here that all the minivans are assembled in Canada. But the poster, DS as I recall, may have been referring to only my 3.0 liter 1994 model. But given that, there may be variations in engines, like those built to meet U.S./California emissions' standards and so on. To be sure of the variation, it helps to look at that metal tag in the engine compartment which will state what standard that particular vehicle was built for. The VIN won't give this information.

For example, if the VIN starts with a "2" then it's made in Canada. And if there is an "R" in the 11th place, counting from the "2" or leftmost start, then it's from the Windsor plant in Canada. This is what the shop manual says. Because it lists United States as a "1" for the VIN, I am not sure it means that any were made in the USA. One could infer that, but again, not sure. Assumptions can be wrong.

If the vin starts with a "1" then it is the United States. And then the city of manufacture in the U.S. would be St. Louis. An "X" in that 11th spot, refers to St. Louis. Only 2 cities are listed, Windsor or St. Louis, so one might assume it has to be one or the other.

I wonder, can a car be made in the U.S. and the city be Windsor in Canada? That seems unlikely but who knows. I don't, that's for sure. But a VIN starting with a "1" and a "R" in the eleventh place would mean Windsor and the USA. That's logically impossible but? I don't recall the US invading Windsor in 1993 or 1994, but I have not been keeping up with my history.

For reference, the OP: (I include it here. I guess this is one reason that top posting may be confusing when trying to establish an easy chronological ordering. Just a comment, not a critcism although one could tease out a very slight one :)

Reply to
treeline12345

Reply to
Len G