Repair CD's on ebay

I am considering getting a repair/shop manual CD advertised on ebay. These are for specific models. Does anyone have any knowledge of these CD's and are they worth the 24.95 price? TIA

Reply to
tango

I'd avoid it, personally. It is very likely to be a pirated rip-off copy.

The best source of repair information is a factory shop manual. Sometimes, if you're lucky, you can obtain one on eBay for very close to the $24.95 you're talking about spending on a CD.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Unless it is an exact copy of the factory service manual, it is not worth it. Also, I've seen these CD's advertised for much less than $25. Shop around.

------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

They are a pirated copy of the dealership CDs. The thieves steal them out of trash dumpsters then sit there with a PC and run off copy after copy on CD blanks costing around 10 cents.

If you must go this route, send e-mail directly to the seller and tell him you would be interested in buying a CD but not for $25, your willing to pay $10. Since the CD costs the thief nothing, they will most likely sell it to you for that. Your also pretty well protected since you can easily retailate against them by bidding up all their auctions using a bogus userID then not paying them anything, should they not send you the CD.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I don't sell pirated CDs, (as a matter of fact, my company has conducted numerous investigations, and successfully prosecuted a number of copyright pirates, over the past 16 years), but it sounds as though Ted has told us exactly where HE stands on the issue, how HE handles these things, and what HE does to circumvent the various rules, regulations, and terms of service that the successful folx over at eBay© have worked so hard to put in place. Ted, . . . . as I've been saying for quite a while, . . . . you're a real piece of work. I hope you're proud of yourself, . . . . cuz your mother never could be! Word to the wise eBay buyer/seller: "If you think the seller/buyer could be Ted M. from the chrysler group, RUN -- RUN AWAY FAAAAST!"

God Bless, Dan'L

("If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're around.")

Reply to
Dan Larsen

FWIW, there are licensed sources of some service and parts CD's for Chrysler products.

is one such source. You can be assured that you are not violating anyone's intellectual property rights by purchasing from such a source, plus you can be assured that the manuals are correct and complete. Finally, new manuals are also available from Dyment Distribution Services, P.O. Box 360450, Strongsville, OH 44136, (800) 348-4696, (216)

572-7240, fax: (216) 572-0815
Reply to
Bob Horton

"Ted Mittelstaedt" wrote in news:newscache$sq47ai$o2p1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.ipinc.net:

I received an email response from the seller on ebay and it is a copy of Chilton's repair manual. I understand why he is calling it a shop repair manual instead of a Chilton's repair manual. I've been looking for a

1994 Plymouth Acclaim or Dodgr Spirit factory manual for awhile and haven't found one yet. Guess the secret is persistance.
Reply to
tango

If you find your patience waning, you could always contact one of the many resellers of used automotive manuals who *don't* sell on eBay. I used Vogel automotive several years ago and got a fair price and good results. (I'm not affiliated, by the way, just a satisfied customer).

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

The guy selling the Cds has 28 negative feedbacks in the past 30 days. Does that say something?

John

Reply to
Fieronut

"Fieronut" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

There are several people selling CD'S on eBay, the one I looked at sent an email saying it was a Chilton manual and didn't have many recent negative feedbacks. Geoff posted a website which has the FSM which I will probably get.

Reply to
tango