Timeing belt cost/life span

The timeing belt on my 96 Eagle Vision TSI just broke at 63700 miles.

!: How much should I expect to pay (not at a dealer) to replace it. Assuming no other damage (fingers crossed).

2: How common is the belt to break at 63700 miles on the larger LH engines?

P.S. The reason I ask is that even at 83000 my 91 Ford Taurus still has it orginal Timeing Belt.

Reply to
Zentraleinheit

well i work at a dealer so i wont give you a suggested price, more then likely the water pump or idler pulley took a dump and caused the belt to go because those belts normally go along way, i would however use oem parts, the water pump has been updated to a better part, if you go rebuilt you may get an old design part, im not a ford tech but i would seriously advise getting that belt replaced on the ford, i heard some horror stories of what happens when they break and i would hate to see you post about a new cyl head for that

Reply to
damnnickname

And this NG is not about Found On Road Dead vehicles.

Reply to
Mike Behnke

IIRC, the TSi has the 3.5L, a non-interference type top end. Should not have damaged anything.

Good time to replace the water pump, as it's driven off of the timing belt.

With the pump and tensioner, your probably looking at $250-$300.

Also a good time to have the full intake manifold gasget kit replaced also. Common fo these develop leaks and cuase misfires. $180-$250.

Also, have the fuel rail o-ring recall done if not already performed.

Reply to
Mike Behnke

What engine is in your Taurus? The 3.0 Vulcan and the 3.8 Essex have chains, not belts.

Reply to
Bill 2

Thanks for the input, as of now I have not received the cost of fixing. But, as far as my bank account is concerned, $1.00 is 99 cents to much!

As for the questions asked:

The water pump was replaced in Feb. 2001 - 10 days after the extened warrenty expired!

That the first thing I did when I got the car in 1999, but, I have not gone in for the Transaxle Interlock recall.

Is that before or after fixing the Anti-lock brakes system, struts, broken air cleaner housing, or broken driver seat . Or paying for the new fuel lines, tires, alignment or themostat that I already installed this year. :-)

My late cousin use to call them Fix or Repair Daily, My Late Dad just call them F*RT's! Yet, It has lasted the longest with most of it's orginal parts still intact.

It is the 3.0 V6, however, I have never head it called the "Vulcan." Maybe that is why it "lives long and prospers!"

Reply to
Zentraleinheit

Yeah, there wasn't much need to call it the Vulcan until Ford offered two

3.0L engines in 1996-present. It is however an extremely reliable engine. Having a chain it doesn't need to be replaced or serviced unless there is a problem. Also, it's amazing you haven't had any transmission problems.
Reply to
Bill 2

Yes I did. at 83000 the transmission died in the middle of the street.

a $2000 repair job

That is when I got the Vision as a "back-up" car

Which is funny because it has cost me more to mantain!

Example? The new waterpump/timing belt/labor cost me (or more truthfully my credit card) $540.00.

Or about $1400 (so far) this year alone!

Reply to
Zentraleinheit