Town &Country Locks ?

Have a 2003 T&C with the power locks all the way around. After driving, the locks all lock of course. When stopped and in Park, only the driver side lock is disengaged. So, to use the hatch and side door slide doors the lock switch has to be activated manually to unlock the rest of the doors. THEN the side and hatch doors will work with the switches. I know the locks can be programmed to not lock at all when driving, but don't like that option much. Anyone know if the computer can be programmed to unlock ALL the doors when stopped ? Thx Zork

Reply to
Zork

Zork, I have a 2003 T&C Limited and I am pretty sure that you can program it so that either the driver's side lock or all the locks open when stopped. If memory serves me correctly (and it may not)this is done via the overhead console. I will check it out tonight and post again.

Bob

Reply to
bobrobin

I think the idea is to not unlock the doors and inadvertently give an attacker/carjacker access to your vehicle while you're unaware of what's going on. I sure wouldn't want all my doors to unlock after pulling up curbside here in Motown.

One time, I was driving an old work truck and I didn't realize I had left the passenger door unlocked. I was sitting on a thousand bucks cash, having just collected on some parts I had delivered. I came to a stop for a light, and some guy who said he wanted directions just walked off the curb up to the passenger side of the truck and opened the door! =:-0

Needless to say, what I said to him was not pleasant, nor was it grammatically correct or anatomically possible. I *should* have been carrying a CCW, but I was just a kid at the time, and supposedly indestructible. Fortunately the dude just slammed the door and walked away.

It freaked me out, and taught me a lesson about making sure the vehicle is secure at all times. Had he been a crook with a gun intent on robbing me, I'da been f**ked. Now I *never* leave a door unlocked when I or my wife is going to wait in the car -- even if I'm just running in somewhere for a minute. It's a pain in the ass sometimes, but it might be the difference between life or death.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Your crazy! Drivers & passenger door will open from inside when locked anyway, and your compromising your security by having doors unlock when you stop. Just think of some punk running up to your van at a red light and opening the passenger door and grabbing a purse or valuable sitting on the seat. Leave doors locked at ALL times.

mic canic

I wasn't that clear, but I'm not sure I would be called crazy by you or anyone else ! What I SHOULD have said when the car is stopped AND the transmission in Park. When put in Park, the drivers door unlocks, but not the rest. Z

Reply to
Zork

Reply to
Chris Burns

I sure wouldn't call you crazy, but I sincerely hope you consider the security issue carefully before you put yourself or your family at risk.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Zork,

I checked my 2003 T&C Limited locks over the weekend. Mine has various programable settings via the overhead console to set how the locks, etc, work.

  1. Have the doors lock automatically (y/n). If yes, they lock at around 16 mph. 2. Have the doors unlock upon exit (y/n). If yes, then the doors unlock when the car is in park and the driver's side door is opened from inside. Bob.
Reply to
bobrobin

programable settings via the overhead console to set how the locks,

Reply to
Zork

Yes, Page 123 of the owner's manual. Use Menu button on overhead console to step thru the options. Select "NO" to "Use Factory Settings" then "Yes" to "Auto Door Locks", then "Yes" to "Auto Unlock on Exit". The doors should then unlock when any door is opened if the vehicle is stopped and in Park. Hope this helps.

Reply to
bobrobin